Alternator Amperage

Becker
10+ year member

I have 2 12' Type R's wired to 4 ohm on an MRX-M100 and a 200 watt speaker amp. I think it is safe to say it is about a 1200 watt system. My vehicle is a 2000 olds intrigue with a stock alternator and a new battery. I was wondering the kind of amperage I will need from an alternator minimum to run that system, because I know the alternator in that car is completely shot. Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. (P.S: I don't know if I am posting in the right section, could somebody help me out?)

You are most definitely not in the correct section, this should be in the wiring/electrical help section.

As for your alternator, 1200w is not a crazy amount but still enough to be a heavy load on a stock alt, if you could find one somewhere around 140-150A that would be pretty decent but the problem I see is the gap between stock alt sizes and HO alt sizes. Generally stock alts only go up to around 110A, then HO alts start at like 180A, there's not much to pick from inbetween. Just remember, bigger is always better, so if you can afford it just take the plunge and get a nice alt (like a 200A) and you'll have plenty of headroom for future upgrades (which you will most likely do eventually). Do you have a price range?

First off, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, because I have no idea where I am right now lol. Anyway, I am only 16 so as you can assume I don't make a lot of money, but If i save up I can get pretty much anything. If at all possible, around 250 bucks would be good for a person like me. Thanks!

No problem man. I understand being young and strapped for cash. You're actually in luck. KnuKonceptz has a 200A alt for your vehicle for only $255 which is a steal. They are kind of hit or miss when it comes to cost per amperage but you just happen to have the right vehicle. I've bought an alt from them in the past and the only problem I had was they didn't send me a new pulley and I couldn't get the old one off my old alt, however when I contacted them about it they sent me a new one...other than that the alt was a beast.

Here's a link: Knukonceptz product detail for 99-02 GM 3.5L DELCO 200A ALTERNATOR

Also here's the master index for the cars they sell alts for, I just found Oldsmobile, then Intrigue, then clicked on the year 99-2002 one.

Knukonceptz Domestic Alternator Intro

Last edited by a moderator:
If the alt is what you say it is and it fits in my car I think its the way to go. I've looked all over and have never found this site before. I can't thank you enough man. I will probably purchase this in about a month!

KnuKonceptz is a great company, they mainly sell installation accessories (wire and whatnot) but they also do alternators. I posted the information as to how I found that specific alternator so you could verify it fits your vehicle.

Also here's the master index for the cars they sell alts for, I just found Oldsmobile, then Intrigue, then clicked on the year 99-2002 one.Knukonceptz Domestic Alternator Intro

The subs are 600 watt RMS though aren't they?
Speaker ratings have nothing to do with what amount of power your system is utilizing, except for the fact that if your speakers haven't blown, your system is probably at/under/around the combined power ratings. But you can push 0.01 watts through a speaker rated for 10kW if you wanted to. The power going to your speakers varies depending on the volume you have it at (which also involves amp gain and speaker variances and such).

Related saying: Power handling is not a requirement.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.