Alternative to JBL C608GTI MKII component set. Need midrange!

Participant count
  • Participant list

PrinceCharming
10+ year member

PrinceCharming
I've heard very good things about this set, but also that it lacks midrange and sound reproduction in some areas. From what I've heard they have amazing midbass and will rattle the **** out my doors, but what I really need is midrange and slightly cheaper if possible. I would listen and compare myself but i don't know anyone who has them and the only place I can find that sells them is online at PacificStereo for like $400.

I'm looking for an extremely loud 6.5" (or a little bigger) set with great midrange under $400. Suggestions?

Try to audit a bunch of speakers and see what sounds better to your ear. This may help, although these auditions will not always tell the whole truth. In the end, if you want uncompromising mid-bass and midrange, it's hard to argue against a 3-way setup. If you don't have the capability to run active front stage, then consider the 3-way version of JL Audio C5 (C5-653). These seem like a popular and affordable 3-way speaker. Another possibility is to consider using Alpine Type-X, 5.25 components as your mid and tweeter, and then something like a Peerless SLS8 as your midbass driver. Alpine Type-X have very good mid range and treble, but reportedly don't have much bass. Should be perfect for a 3-way setup with a dedicated midbass IMO. The 5 inch version should be better than 6 inch for midrange, since normally smaller cone will experience beaming and cone brake up at higher frequencies than the 6 inch woofer.

I would listen to some myself but no one around here sells anything high quality. Someone has mentioned running it 3-way active with a dedicated A/D/S 344is 4" midrange driver, which I had almost forgotten about. Thanks for the suggestions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.