Altenator

The best way to figure out if you will need a High output alt is to hook your system up, and take you car to a alt shop that can test the AMP draw on your elec system. Most cars use about 50 to 70 amps with all your lights on and A/C on and so on. 99.9% of car makers will put the smallest alt on your car that will support ONLY the stock items.

I will use these numbers only as a reference to show you.

your car has a 80 amp alt

you test your car and it pulls 65 amps

that means you have 15 amps left to play with.

If you amp draws 50 amps you will need at a minimum of 115 amp alt. I would ALWAYS go bigger so you can upgrade and you are not putting the full demand on your alt.

Thanks for the response Guys,

I have a better understanding theoretically. So where do you find the amp draw of your car and amplifier. Is it by the amp fuse you use?

I was talking to a very nice-knowledgable sales person at Tweeter. He recommended I buy an optimo/yellow top battery to counteract the constant draw on my small alt. He says it would make a noticeable difference because the battery is capable of quicker recharge and therefore the alt will not suffer so much. Currently I have an Advance Auto Titanium battery upgraded to 800 CCA's. He says those are the wrong batteries for caraudio, and I should switch it out for an optimo. He also recommended a 1 farad capacitor and to dampen my front doors for optimum sound for my front stage.

What do you guys think about these recommendations for my system below?

for some reason i knew he was going to recommend you to get a Cap.....do yourself a favor.. and just buy a bigger alt....

you live in Marietta.. theirs a Alternator shop over off of Bells Ferry, near the hospital...go talk to them...

Caps are a //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

That guy just wants you to waste your money.

Do your self a favour and go to that alternator shop

for some reason i knew he was going to recommend you to get a Cap.....do yourself a favor.. and just buy a bigger alt....you live in Marietta.. theirs a Alternator shop over off of Bells Ferry, near the hospital...go talk to them...
Appreciate that, can you give me the shop name-number?

optimo=garroptima=car battery

LOL I my bad Looney T, i'm from the south and that's the way it's pronounced down hrrr.....The dime females make up for it though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ladysman.gif.b3d08666a805020911dd758f82cd9ab0.gif

Appreciate that, can you give me the shop name-number?
no, i dont know the name or number.. just remember seeinf it one day when i was passin by.. i need to chk it myself... but comeing from Marietta down Hwy 41 turn L on Bells Ferry and it should be down on the Right, i think right over the RR tracks...theirs also another Alt shop ive seen out towards Carrollton ive seen on the way to a show, but thats alot further away for you to drive.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jlpimpin

10+ year member
jlpimpin
marietta, ga
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from