Altenator noise from subs...even when car's off??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Accipiter
10+ year member

OK, I'm having some odd issues with my head unit (it turns on even if the key isn't in the ignition and the car hasn't been on. Stays on til I take the removable faceplate off. It also doesn't shut off after the car's been running, I turn off the car, and then open the door). Anyhoo, I figure I'll poke around in the wiring, I hadn't removed the HU since I had installed it a year ago. So I noticed my ground wire from the car and the one from the harness are twisted around each other without any sort of cap or crimp connecting them. I figure that's probably causing issues....so I use a crimp to connect them.

Well, that didn't solve my issue at all with the head unit. But now there's a constant rumbling coming out of my subwoofers. When I hit the gas and my car's RPMs goes up the pitch of the rumbling increases. It goes away when I disconnect the RCAs. The thing is, it happens even when the car is off. I thought alternator interference only happened when the car was running?

What gives?

let me guess pioneer deck maybe kenwood?

it might be the pico fuse. all you have to do is grond the rca's to the deck and your done.

search pico fuse and there will be a picture of how to ground it

images

I'm assuming this is the pic

lol he says it turns on with out a key in the ignition

thats not a pico fuse

yeah the title says "noise from subs" so thats what i tried to help fix.

and yes that would be the picture it will help with the noise but no idea what elese is wrong with it

The noise from the subs and the fact that the **** HU turns on even without the key in the ignition are separate issues; the latter started this morning, the sub noise started this afternoon after I inspected the wiring.

crap; I just realized my outs don't look like that, it's a plastic harness that clips into the back of the HU; the rcas are connected to it by a cable. damnit.

Could be time for a new HU. They're really not designed to last more than a couple years if you drive a lot. 150$ will get you something pretty nice these days. Run down to Best Buy and grab one (they have a decent Kenwood for 150$) use it and see if the problem goes away. Either way, if you don't **** it up you can return it for your money back and get something else or test something different.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.