Alpine vs JL Audio Again

I'm looking into purchasing a sub and an amp. I want to get either a 12 in Alpine Type R or a JL Audio 13W3v3. So I'm wondering what do you think would sound better I'm more into SQ than SPL? Another question is whats better a JL Audio JX1000/1D or a Alpine MRP-M1000 they both RMS at 1000 Watts and are both Class-D?

well the type r might be a little louder, but the w3 will definitely sound better, and the mrp 1000 actually is a good quality amp i would wire at 4 ohms though she gets hot at 2 ohm.

if you can afford it, i say step up to the w6.

many people will tell you JL is overpriced which it kinda is in some ways, but most honest people must admit that the w6 is a force to be reckoned with in the SQ arena. point blank

If you want SQ get a good A/B amp or Class H for your sub. I went from a JL 1000/1 V2 to an ARC KS 1000.1BX and noticed better SQ right away. There are a lot better brands out there for less money than JL and Alpine. But if your stuck with only those to options I would choose the JL over the Alpine. I have used both.

If you want SQ get a good A/B amp or Class H for your sub. I went from a JL 1000/1 V2 to an ARC KS 1000.1BX and noticed better SQ right away. There are a lot better brands out there for less money than JL and Alpine. But if your stuck with only those to options I would choose the JL over the Alpine. I have used both.
Are you kidding me? JL yeah definately, but Alpine Type R 12 sub is about the best bang for your buck you're gonna get broski. Actually I can't honestly think of much better than those 2 brands either.

His price range doesnt seem to be that high... The HD series amps from JL are as good if not better than any A/B class amp... Besides a select few of Zed amps of course. Lol.

And the W6 is the most SPL oriented sub that JL has. Not saying its an SPL sub in anyway, but it seems like you really want some SQ stuff.

His price range doesnt seem to be that high... The HD series amps from JL are as good if not better than any A/B class amp... Besides a select few of Zed amps of course. Lol.
And the W6 is the most SPL oriented sub that JL has. Not saying its an SPL sub in anyway, but it seems like you really want some SQ stuff.
Sorry but no.. W6=SQ W7=SQL

well the type r might be a little louder, but the w3 will definitely sound better, and the mrp 1000 actually is a good quality amp i would wire at 4 ohms though she gets hot at 2 ohm.
It does get a little hot, I ran my alpine 2ohm to my SA-12, it never shut off or go in protect mode ever.. It's a good amp for the money I would suggest this amp over the JL only because of the price for JL...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you kidding me? JL yeah definately, but Alpine Type R 12 sub is about the best bang for your buck you're gonna get broski. Actually I can't honestly think of much better than those 2 brands either.
really !!!!! wow

Can't think of anything JL excels in... SPL they get smashed by your typical Sundown, DC, AQ, Fi, IA, Crossfire... SQ they get smashed by Arc Audio, Rainbow, DLS, Focal, Zapco...

Alpine makes a solid headunit, thats about it. They have good bang for your buck speakers/subs around that price, but for a little more you can get a whole lot better.

OP, ignore this guy and all the people that are actually picking between those two brands.

For 1000 watts, you can get the AQ 1200D for a whole lot cheaper. Plus, you can talk to DJ, the owner, if you need help. As far as subs go, the AQ SDCs are actually a fine budget choice, along with Sundown SA series, and DC Level 3s are great for the price too.

There is no such thing as which will be better for SQ or which will be better for SPL. It's solely going to depend on your box and your vehicle. I can guarantee I can make cheapie walmart subs sound better AND get louder than those JLs and Type Rs if they aren't in a good box built to spec.

Anything above entry level in JL or Alpine will do the job and do it pretty well. Slash series amps can be had cheap now and used ones are even more affordable. Don't listen to the detractors. Unless you spend hours sitting in your ride without the engine on and minus road noise, you won't tell a huge difference in any quality brand. I'm using JL XD series amps currently. I replaced some old school PPI a/b amps with them. Very happy with their performance and I am all about SQ. In fact, I am considering moving up to the HD series. JL seems overpriced only if you think everything should be Walmart cheap. Don't fall into that trap.

i just picked up the jl 13.5w7 and tell you what d*** does it hit hard. i had two 15's in my car. the w7 killz it with half the power i had to thoses 15's. been thinkin about getting a better amp just dont know what i should put to it. yes the box is built to specs and i had to remove all my rear panels and back seats to get it in due to the fact that it wouldnt fit threw the trunk if my civic

Ran a Type R 12 for about 4 years.. I was not all that impressed with it at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.