can i get clipping from a jl 1000 1 with a 12 w7

swizz977
10+ year member

i know the amp and sub are made for each other and im trying to figure out how high i can set my gains is it possible to get clipping from this amp sub combo my hu is 5v also if anyone knos some good settings for this amp n sub its in the ho box in a hatchback

If you own a DMM you can set your amp to help prevent clipping. With 5v preouts you shouldn't need to turn your gain up much to achieve the desired power output

Yes. You can clip.

JL has the procedure for setup with minimal chance of clipping in the manual for your amp.

Just need a meter. (and a test tone)

Last edited by a moderator:
well i have a 4 gauge from my front batt to the amp maby i need more power cuz the sub only gets loud wen i turn the gain up about 3/4 of the way up is there any other settings on the amp to make it louder.. ?? also this is with the loud option on my hu off if i put it on loud 1 it does get louder but i wasnt sure if i should use that

If you wanted a loud sub you got the wrong one.. They can get up there but they are very picky with boxes. You need to use this to set the gain. You dont just turn the gain up..

JL Audio - Car Audio Systems

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

I think JL recommends a alternator upgrade for that amp

If the 1000/1 is like my other slash amps, there is a high/low switch for the input sensitivity.

With a 5v HU, the switch should be set to "high" which will make your gain setting understandable (Not necessarily the precise setting you should get with a meter though) With 5v I would expect

If that's the only amp connected to the 4gauge cable, and it's good OFC, you should be fine with the 4 gauge. (Whether or not your stock alternator/charging system can handle a 100amp draw is another question altogether)

If the 1000/1 is like my other slash amps, there is a high/low switch for the input sensitivity.
With a 5v HU, the switch should be set to "high" which will make your gain setting understandable (Not necessarily the precise setting you should get with a meter though) With 5v I would expect

If that's the only amp connected to the 4gauge cable, and it's good OFC, you should be fine with the 4 gauge. (Whether or not your stock alternator/charging system can handle a 100amp draw is another question altogether)
A consent 100 amp draw.. That amp dont let up. If they would of made a 2.5K / I would of been all over it. Unless it was $2500, which it would have been

4 gauge is fine if it's OFC. I'd say a BIG 3 upgrade though. And you might need a better battery. It does sound like you have the entirely wrong subwoofer for what you wanna do. And a proper enclosure could probably get some better output out of it. But 3/4 is more than likely way too high of a gain setting with 5v pre-outs.

If you wanna get loud, you'd be better off selling that woofer, and getting a different one. JL's subs are mostly built for SQ, and while they can get loud, there's others that are much better at doing so, at a considerably less cost. Specifically the W7, it's a high-end, expensive, SQ woofer. You could find loads of woofers at a fraction of the price that would get plenty loud in a proper enclosure, and still sound clean.

my woofer is in the jl high output box i was using my friends sony amp before tho and it seemed louder but i think my settings are wrong.. should i be using the loud option on my hu??

my woofer is in the jl high output box i was using my friends sony amp before tho and it seemed louder but i think my settings are wrong.. should i be using the loud option on my hu??
It's still probably not a very good box, if it's anything like Kicker's pre-fabbed boxes for their woofers.

But you're missing the point that it is not a loud woofer to begin with. It's very clean and efficient. But there's much better options at much better prices out there if you want some loud clean bass. But you should go through your owners manual and set-up the amp as instructed.

i know the amp and sub are made for each other and im trying to figure out how high i can set my gains is it possible to get clipping from this amp sub combo my hu is 5v also if anyone knos some good settings for this amp n sub its in the ho box in a hatchback
How is the amp set now? Not the gains...the other knobs.

A W7 in a JL H.O. box should absolutely throttle you in a hatchback. Something's not right; reset the HU and see if it sounds different. I've seen similar issues where the user previously activated their high pass crossover and forgot to turn that off after they installed a subwoofer system. I'd also like to know where the other knobs are set on your amp. It's really easy to 'tune out' most of your bass with JL's crossovers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.