Alpine Type X

Participant count
  • Participant list
Looking to pick up a pair if 12's. Anyone out there experienced the new X, yet and how are the lows and SQ on them? 
nobody has mentioned on here that they are running the type-x's in a long time, much less the new ones. The common response when this question is asked is that they are overpriced, and if what they advertise is what you want, get some FI Audios and put them in a proper box, throw some good power at them and youll soon forget the type-x's ever existed. That being said, from previous reviews of people who owned them, theyre solid subs, sound great and take some power, but they just cost so much more than subs that exactly as good, or even better. But feel confident in buying them if you feel like dropping the coin on them. Theyre beastly and wont let you down. Just spendy

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the latest versions but the older Type-X was really quite a good driver. The design of the motor extended the magnetic gap to completely cover the coil throughout the entirety of the stroke...essentially making it an underhung design. The also have shorting rings and a shorting cap on the pole-piece to further reduce distortion. They also used coil windings on the inside and outside of the former to help with cooling/power handling.

I can't imagine they would have gone backwards in terms of design and performance. yes there are plenty other drivers that cost less...but will they sound as good? That's a subjective question i suppose. There are a lot of speaker companies that use standard overhung big coil designs with big magnets and robust frames...but there is a lot more to it than just making a cone move.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for not proclaiming Sundown, Fi, or some other internet-based speaker brand isn't 'the best ever'...but I don't really care. Too many people have no idea what they're buying in a subwoofer and why. There is usually a reason why driver-A is more expensive than driver-B.

Just my 2cents.

I can't imagine they would have gone backwards in terms of design and performance. yes there are plenty other drivers that cost less...but will they sound as good? That's a subjective question i suppose. There are a lot of speaker companies that use standard overhung big coil designs with big magnets and robust frames...but there is a lot more to it than just making a cone move.

Just my 2cents.
I would take the FiQ, Audio Frog GS, Stereo Integrity RM-12 or Image Dynamics IDmax. All will perform as well if not better with awesome sound quality. the Alpines are just not that special.

I would take the FiQ, Audio Frog GS, Stereo Integrity RM-12 or Image Dynamics IDmax. All will perform as well if not better with awesome sound quality. the Alpines are just not that special.
To each their own...but what makes any of the drivers you listed any 'better' than the Type-X? I'm not asking the question to get into a pissing contest...I would like to know.

The GS has less excursion, less coil/gap treatment, stamped frame, overhung design. I'm not saying it's a bad driver but it does lack things that can make a good driver into an exceptional driver...The GB series adds most of this their design with the exception of the overhung topology. The ID Max is a verey capable driver from what I understand...but again it's basically a log-coil large-gap design with no real coil or gap treatment.

I'm sure many of these things are lost to the normal consumer who may not notice a difference in sound from one driver to another...and for that perhaps cheaper drivers are better.

Again...just my opinion...take it or leave it.

To each their own...but what makes any of the drivers you listed any 'better' than the Type-X? I'm not asking the question to get into a pissing contest...I would like to know.

The GS has less excursion, less coil/gap treatment, stamped frame, overhung design. I'm not saying it's a bad driver but it does lack things that can make a good driver into an exceptional driver...The GB series adds most of this their design with the exception of the overhung topology. The ID Max is a verey capable driver from what I understand...but again it's basically a log-coil large-gap design with no real coil or gap treatment.

I'm sure many of these things are lost to the normal consumer who may not notice a difference in sound from one driver to another...and for that perhaps cheaper drivers are better.

Again...just my opinion...take it or leave it.
Also the CSS SDX withe XB2 motor would be pretty sweet.

short story long is that its a pretty damn solid sub and youre not gonna be upset with it other than the bigger than required dent in your wallet. its a performer and itll bump for a good long time

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the css 12. Or 10 for that matter.

I think part of the fun of car audio or any hobby for that matter is making decisions for yourself. Going outside the norm.

People love spending someone else's money and simply tell you to get what they want. 

I'd get an x if a good deal came my way. 

this is the only issue with an x. very nice sub, well built, will get low and be musical too. great balanced sub. the only people who will talk **** about it are alpine haters and uninformed people. Black friday style pricing on these and you cant really go wrong
It's mainstream. Don't mean squat to me a good product is a good product 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.