Alpine SWR-12D4 wiring and ohm questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThunderOne
10+ year member

I have a sealed box that is approx 1.35 cu ft and I would like to install an Alpine SWR-12D4 into it.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45521_Alpine-SWR-12D4.html

I want to wire it so that the amp sees 2 ohms of resistance (I have an MRX-M50 so that would be 500 watts at 2ohms).

I'm not sure how to wire it, there are two ways on the interwebs that tells me how to wire it for 2ohms.

The sub is a 4ohm DVC.

Which of these wiring diagrams is correct, or better?

This one is from the Subwoofer manual, I'm assuming this is probably the correct way to do it, though I don't know what these "jumpers" are:

Also, the manual recommends a sealed box with .55-1.0 cu ft of airspace, my box is 1.35 cu ft, but the sub will only have 500 watts running to it. Will this be an issue? The sub has a 300-1000 watt RMS rating. With a 0.10 driver displacement this will knock the airspace down to 1.25 cu ft.

Thanks everyone for your help.

They're all the same the alpine sube just has its dvc-4 voice coils all on one side so i guess just to make things easy for you the top one. good luck

Ps: when you get your sub you will see included in the box are the "Jumper" wires just little wires that can plug into the bottome of the vc's. Example one will make perfect sense to you when you have the sub in hand and are looking at it. A wire will connect pos to pos and neg to neg with one wire running from each to your amp.

Ps: when you get your sub you will see included in the box are the "Jumper" wires just little wires that can plug into the bottome of the vc's. Example one will make perfect sense to you when you have the sub in hand and are looking at it. A wire will connect pos to pos and neg to neg with one wire running from each to your amp.
Thanks. Do you think my box size will be an issue?

With the amount of power you have going to it you'll be fine. But may I ask why don't you got ported? you obviously have the space to run a nice ported box considering the size sealed box ur running. Think of it like this screaming with you mouth open or closed. Ported box will make all the difference IMO.lmk if you have anymore questions ok

With the amount of power you have going to it you'll be fine. But may I ask why don't you got ported? you obviously have the space to run a nice ported box considering the size sealed box ur running. Think of it like this screaming with you mouth open or closed. Ported box will make all the difference IMO.lmk if you have anymore questions ok
Thanks. Here is my current box, I'm not sure how I would go about porting it. I do prefer bass accuracy and response over loudness, so that's why it's sealed for the time being. I think if I were to go ported, I would need to buy a more powerful amp. Nonetheless, here's a pic.

Gotcha, sealed would have tighter more accurate sound quality oriented bass. If however in the future you'd like to go a little louder (which this obsession usually mandates lol) you might want to look into building/buying a ported box. For the time being I think for what you want you will be very satisfied.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.