Alpine SPX-177A

ewoevo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Does anybody have any experience with these 6.5" components. I'm trying to decide between these and JL XR650-CsI's. I've heard the JL's, but not the Alpines. I'm currently not in a position to listen to any car audio (deployed), so I'm kinda relying on you guys. The Alpines are $150 and the JL's are $210. They'll be for front stage, and I'll get a pair of matching 6.5" coaxes for the rear (03 Mitsu EVO). Please, any help or recommendations.

PS I want to get the speakers now so that when I get home, they'll be there to get installed. I'll be running 75-100 watts rms to them.

Thanks,

Kelly

the alpine sounded pretty good.

i actually went to good guys today, n they had both so i listen to both. the highs in alpine's is a little higher n brighter, but it's not harsh at all. it's a nice clean high clear tweeters. i wasn't too impressed w the jl audio, esp since they had them for almost $400. $150 for those comps r pretty good.

where r u gettin these spks from?

If I get the Alpine's it will be from a shop on ebay. I figured for $150, why not. I've bought a few things from ebay (car parts, amps, to name a few) and haven't had any problems. I believe it was car audio shoppe. There are a several stores selling these for around $150 there + shipping of course. BTW, thanks for the opinion/ review!

I run those with the mids (spx-f17t) and they do allright, the low end is a bit weak at times but that is only because they need lots of power. I really really like the tweeters though.

I'm running them. I strongly dislike the recomended x-over settings though. With the recomended settings on the xover to hvae tweets in the sail panel and mids in stock door location, I think it sounds like ****. Tweets end up playing barely any frequencies, and the mids end up handling everything from 60hz-8000hz or something rediculous like that, which equals almost zero midbass. Once you toy with it a bit thought I can't imagine you would be disapointed with them. I also don't think they are overly power hungry. I say go for it, but also check out the CDT CL61a's at http://www.thezeb.com

antler skills:

The SPX-177A owners manual gives power handling as 240W Peak/ 60W RMS.

From other posts I gather that they like to have the higher power available, especially for the mid-bass.

Not to seem indecisive, but I'm also considering the MB Quart RCE-216's. I have heard these, but its been a while. They can be had for the same price as the Alpines ($150). Or if I really wanted to go big, the PCE-216's are $250. Doesn't leave me much cash for rear fill though( $300ish for both). Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.