Alpine PDXF6 or Soundstream REF4.760

ShayneF
10+ year member

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a new 4 channel amp to run my Focal splits, and have been looking at my options. I have a separate amp for my subs so this is just for the high end. In Australia we do not have the options you guys have to buy locally, but we can import stuff.

I have owned Alpine stuff for a long time so I am looking at the PDXF6 for my Focals. Expensive enough, so should be good for that money. Being Class D gives me some reservations, but that is supposed to not be an issue. I can get one here for not too bad money.

But for the same price I can get a Soundstream REF4.760 form the US. This amp also gets good reviews.

Are these amps comparable to each other, or is one going to be better than the other for sound quality or about the same?

What are your opinions?

I personally hate how the Alpine PDX series handles the highs/mids. Sounds very high, sharp and unpleasant to me. I used the F4 though, not the F6. I probably wouldn't recommend the PDX series to anyone looking for a new SQ-ish amp. I switched to the JL Slash v2 however and was thoroughly impressed with the sound it produced. Highs were much more smooth and overall it sounded like a new set of speakers. No experience with the SoundStream however.

both nice amps, you can get better/nicer sound from some others, look into ppi, mosconi, ect.... also are you going for a four channel so you can run active?

Maybe the Alpine suffers a bit by being Class D, although I understand that Alpine does this differently to other manufacturers.

Not looking to run active, going 4 channel as I have two sets of the Focals.

I read a bit about other brands, including those you mention, but I would prefer to buy something that I can support for in Australia, rather than a brand that is not well known. I am happy to consider other stuff, as long as there is an agent here. Price is also a factor. The Alpine can be had here for about $450 (AUD), and the Soundstream I have found is highly discounted form one US retailer as a clearance item, otherwise it would be out of the budget. As a reference series amp with a high price tag I thought it should be pretty good. A couple of reviews suggest it is a good amp, but I was after some opinion from this forum.

Happy to think about other options, as long as I can get support from them here.

i'm from Australia bud, lots of different decent brands here, search around. why not go for a solid 4 channel focal amp?
Yeah I saw that - whereabouts are you?

Dunno about Focal amps. Obviously I know about their speaker line, but didn't know they made amps as well. Obviously you rate them.

focal amps are really overpriced for what you get, i'm in w.a. ........... look into audison, focal, mosconi, ppi, eclipse.

also keep in mind that the install on your speakers will effect the sound quality more than the amp sending the speakers pwr.

I'm in Australia as well. I have 3 sets of Focal speakers in my car (VY SS Commodore):

Front Doors - P165V30 (6.5" splits)

Rear Doors - 165CVX (6.5" coaxials) => just running off the h/u (Alpine ICS-X8)

Parcel Shelf - PC690 (6x9s)

I have the P165V30 and the PC690 speakers running off a 4 channel Focal amp => FPP4100. I was meant to get the FPS4160 but my installer ripped me off. Regardless, I reckon the FPP4100 provides really clean & powerful sound.

Ended up going with the Boston. Won't be installed for a while as there is much work to be done on the vehicle, but the amp looks good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.