Alpine PDX 2.150 or ...

Participant count
  • Participant list

sweatma3
10+ year member

michigan
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about getting some Phoenix Gold rsd's. Should i get an alpine pdx 2.150 to power these or do you think something else would be better? I have heard they are over priced and thought i'd get some input.

Also i'm getting an alpine type R sub and heard the alpine mrp m500 was actually a good deal.

Any thoughts would help

Also one last thing. I heard I need to get a distribution block to run two amps.

Thanks

You don't NEED a distribution block, but if you don't want to have 2 runs of wire from your battery, it's the smarter choice. They're cheap, so I wouldn't fret it. Check out Darvex - they have very good prices. Just remember that if you change wire size (like go from 1/0 gauge to 4 gauge), you need to fuse the new, higher gauge wire if it's longer than a foot or so, unless the current draw is very low.

The PDX2.150's are nice, but yes, they are a bit over priced and have VERY little resale value. If you buy one used, you can get it for around $150 to $175 shipped.

There are a lot of other options when it comes to 2 and 4-channel amps. What's your price range? Do you have a size limit? I'd stay away from the M500 - it's also over priced, nor is it 1-ohm stable. There are better amps for the price.

hey thanks. I am just look for an amp around 200ish. I'm getting the alpine type-r sub if that helps
Do you know how many subs and what impedance (ohms - dual 2 or dual 4ohms)? If you haven't bought the subs yet, there are alternatives to the type-R if you're not 100% on alpine.

Look into a single Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection or a DC Sound labs Level 3. For pricing, contact Rio on these forums for the LI, or Rusty on the DC forums for the level 3. Both of these subs are great for the price and are of higher quality than the Alpine Type-R's. Type-R's are nice, but for a little more money you can take a step up in quality. If you plan on adding a second sub in the future, you will want to get a dual 4ohm sub. If you NEVER plan on adding a second sub, a dual 2ohm sub is your best bet.

If you're planning on running only a front set of components and don't plan on going active in the future or plan on powering rear components, the MB Quart DSC2150 is a great amp with an awesome price/performance ratio. If you DO plan on powering rear components, going active, or ever plan on needing a 4-channel amp instead of just two, the DSC4125 is a better option and currently one of the most popular amps on this forum for good reason. The DSC2150 will run about $120, and the DSC4125 is about $160. Other options are the Audioque AQ4x90 and the Sundown SAX-100.4D. These are a bit more expensive, but are great performers and very high quality.

For an amp for your subwoofer, you have many options. If you plan on powering a single sub, you'll want an amp that's 1ohm stable, or puts out decent power at 2ohms, depending on what subwoofer you pick. It's really hard to pick an amp until you really know what sub you're going with, so we can worry about that later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.