Alpine Double Din Touch Screen Acting Funny

Participant count
  • Participants list

bigguy2211

I'm asking on behalf of my parents but as I've mention in a earlier post, my parents Hummer H2 was bought used, and the guy they bought it from had a shabby shop put this stereo in this Hummer two or three years ago. Little off story here but I'll get my point across, I was looking for a steering wheel control I could use in my 1986 S10 for the new unit I recently bought, and thank you by the way for recommending I stay far far away from Boss Audio.

I stumbled across, and remember I don't know anything about stereo systems, I do well enough just wiring them and putting them in a vehicle, I stumbled across where you had to have a module to use with an aftermarket unit in order to use the factory steering wheel controls.

Back on topic, my parents H2, you can adjust the volume where you want it, drive down the road several miles and it will turn the volume down, sometimes muting it, mute shows up on the screen. Other times you will have it playing a cd for instance, and it will flip over to USB mode, even when no thumb drive is in the unit but it does this very rarely. The biggest thing I've noticed when I ride with them is the volume adjusting itself, muting or turning itself down but most of the time muting itself.

Could this possible be the steering wheel module thing that I stumbled across? I'm really curious to know. I'd like to try and fix it for them if I knew or had somewhere to start.

I'm asking on behalf of my parents but as I've mention in a earlier post, my parents Hummer H2 was bought used, and the guy they bought it from had a shabby shop put this stereo in this Hummer two or three years ago. Little off story here but I'll get my point across, I was looking for a steering wheel control I could use in my 1986 S10 for the new unit I recently bought, and thank you by the way for recommending I stay far far away from Boss Audio.
I stumbled across, and remember I don't know anything about stereo systems, I do well enough just wiring them and putting them in a vehicle, I stumbled across where you had to have a module to use with an aftermarket unit in order to use the factory steering wheel controls.

Back on topic, my parents H2, you can adjust the volume where you want it, drive down the road several miles and it will turn the volume down, sometimes muting it, mute shows up on the screen. Other times you will have it playing a cd for instance, and it will flip over to USB mode, even when no thumb drive is in the unit but it does this very rarely. The biggest thing I've noticed when I ride with them is the volume adjusting itself, muting or turning itself down but most of the time muting itself.

Could this possible be the steering wheel module thing that I stumbled across? I'm really curious to know. I'd like to try and fix it for them if I knew or had somewhere to start.
start by removing the steering wheel module plug (like a headphone jack) from the back of the unit. it's likely that's causing the problem. they may lose steering wheel controls in the interim, but it won't do what it's doing.

also, clean the screen so there isn't residual gunk on it, falsifying button pressing.

regardless of the result of above, re-do the radio installation. solder the connections and protect with heat shrink or 3M Super 33+. when i fix installs (a regular occurrence) my first step is starting over and removing what the previous installer did. i don't trust any connection done by others if i find one that is poor.

after this, feel free to re-install the steering wheel controls. note that button presses are just resistances in series-parallel combinations so poor connections can resemble button presses. again, solder all connections.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.