Alpine cda-9833 install help

Participant count
  • Participant list

josthorn
10+ year member

Bought a used Alpine CDA-9833 and upon researching this particular type of unit, it recommends the use of direct power from the cars battery via 10awg power wire due to it having a somewhat powerful V-Drive hybrid MOSFET60 internal amp (26 watts RMS per channel).

Now when I went to my local audio shop to have it installed into my car (1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT), they said I didn't need an amp kit and that my cars internal harness is sufficient enough. So now the radio is hooked up without the 10awg. and was plugged directly into the GM harness.

I tried to tell them I needed a direct power line, but they assured me I didn't. I just took their word and let them install. They're a reputable audio shop and have been in business for 20+ years.

The radio is hooked up and works perfectly (sounds amazing as well).

My question is this. Am I, or will I do any damage to the unit or car having it hooked up without the direct 10awg from the battery?

Thanks for any info!

you will be ok. If your radio was drawing too much current, your fuse would blow. Upgrading and running a direct 10awg power wire would lower the resistance, but you will not be able to hear any difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.