Alpine amp with sub and crossover

Participant count
  • Participant list

jayyGT

Canada
I bought a new car a couple months ago and the radio never worked because i needed an amp to hook into the crossover for any sounds to come out.

What i've been planning on buying is Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. (check link)

(I really can't afford to pay much more for an amp. All i have is an old Crankenstein 12" or a 8"Bazookatoob from back in the day)

I plan to add better subs down the road. but all i really want to do is get the thing to play music, And i know ill need a amp sometime anyways.

The car has some aftermarket tweeters and 4x door speakers. What amp do i need? Would like a good thump but nothing "CRAZY"

Couple questions:

Is the sub good for the money? or is there something better around in the same range?

Do i need an additional car battery?

How expensive is all the wiring and how much do i need?

I've never really been into car audio much so i don't know much. A little help from your experienced guys would be awesome!

Cheers

What sub? Your link led to an amplifier. As for the amp in the link, it's a good amplifier.

You don't need an additional battery for 500 watts.

I don't have any idea how much wire you will need, since I don't know what you're putting it in. Also, where is the crossover... what kind of crossover is it and do you have an amp behind it already?

The two way crossover is just under the passenger seat, and seems stuck there as the wiring to it keep it firm in place with about a foot of wiggle room.

I plan on just using the Crankenstien 12" sub until then (im not sure of model it was given to me... no info on it to be seen, It's in a custom enclosure built by the guy who gave it to me.

There is no amp behind it as the previous owner removed his amp and subs when i purchased the car

you can get the matching alpine 4 channel to power the speakers, then a dual amp install kit. 4awg would suffice but 1/0 would give you more options in the future. did the previous owner remove the wiring also?

All the wiring up to the crossover is still there... Just the power is disconnected from the battery as it sits.

I found a good amp and wiring kit(comes free with it). So it looks like i'm set with that just to figure out how it will be wired up...

I got another question!!

Since the Deck has 50wx4 built in... is there a way to wire that to all the door speakers and just have a single channel amp run the sub?? I don't really have a bunch of extra money to buy expensive amp.

Thanks

1b258d665aac59f67e443a6bcca214f4

http://gyazo.com/1b258d665aac59f67e443a6bcca214f4

91dd6fff2e6871f3b733072630bfc2c5

http://gyazo.com/91dd6fff2e6871f3b733072630bfc2c5

4406e55f1c156f1a20c1fb8bffdcc2c3

http://gyazo.com/4406e55f1c156f1a20c1fb8bffdcc2c3

there are all the pictures of the crossover... Now after removing the head unit and looking around i noticed that it really isn't wired up right, random wired disconnected and taped off and it's totally half assed.. I guess i will just bring it to a stereo shop, but... i got a question! Since the amp wires will most likely stay (from bat to trunk) is there anyway to hook up this old bazookatube since the wire guage size is so messed up and different? See pic below.

c6cbe8a0b0c0608b4236c4d3e0f486cb

http://gyazo.com/c6cbe8a0b0c0608b4236c4d3e0f486cb

thanks

do some more research, do you have an amp to hook the bazookatube onto? or does it have one built in (need a lot more info)

also second pic has the rca's in the wrong spot (both on the right side not left and right)

Opps, i forgot to put the rcas back in place one i was fiddling with the wires... The bazookatub doesnt have a amp built in as far as i know.. it really old. The EL series, and was discontinued a long while back. There has to be power to the bazooka and a ground..

There is a bass adjustment on the bottom on the tube though, could that mean it's amped?

As it is now, i don't have an amp (external) to use to hook anything too..

Wow - that is an old-school crossover. Circa 1996. What is your budget? Honestly, if you can afford it I'd rip everything out and start fresh. I can't imagine you need the crossover at all with a modern head unit, amp(s) and speakers.

wire it up and have a listen, i'd bypass your crossover and run your rca's from your headunit straight to your bazookatube, make sure you have lfp set on your headunit

Alright. and yes i plan to redo it all anyways or get it installed properly by a shop... i need some speaker wire to re-do my speakers as they are missing or cut.. any suggestions on where to get it and what sizes etc??

istill dont understand how to run my bazooka when the power wire and ground from the car are 6guage and the bazooka is a tiny power cord. Is there an adapter that can downsize that or do i need to run new wire??

thanks for the input guys very helpful!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.