Anyone with a diesel?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Husker
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Omaha, Ne
I have a 2001 ram 2500 diesel, i have never had voltage issues...but just upgraded amps recently and dont want to harm any equiptment.

Right now im running the stock alt with 2 regular batteries up front, I have 1/0 from the battery back and will be running a vfl 150.1 and a small us acoustics usa 4050.

I threw the 150.1 in today and hammered on it and the lowest it dropped was 12.5, Is that safe?

I do have a brand new Treo ssx100b i planned on installing, but no where to put it in the truck.

Suggestions?

Thats kind of what i thought, didnt know if they thought the vibration from the engine would damage the agm.

I would think a gas engine would vibrate as much as a diesel, but I've never owned a diesel so I wouldn't know. I know my engine was vibrating pretty bad when 2 of the 8 ignition coils went bad, had to put it in neutral whenever I was coming to a stop or she would die lol

The problem with using AGM batteries in a diesel is that it is going to pull a lot more juice when cranking the engine than a gas engine, and AGM's don't last very well as hard cranking batteries. I would recommend adding AGM's in the back and leaving the fronts lead-acid, and using an isolator so that cranking the engine doesn't wear the AGM's down.

The problem with using AGM batteries in a diesel is that it is going to pull a lot more juice when cranking the engine than a gas engine, and AGM's don't last very well as hard cranking batteries. I would recommend adding AGM's in the back and leaving the fronts lead-acid, and using an isolator so that cranking the engine doesn't wear the AGM's down.
Actually agms work really well as starter batteries and surpass wet cells in every spec out there. They are much more resistant to vibration as well.

and mixing batts even with an isolator is a bad idea when running they wont be isolated resulting in an unequal charge between batts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.