Alpine 9887 Channel Interference

Participant count
  • Participant list

goffmj

Hello all,

I have a ~year old Alpine 9887 installed in my '94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Basically, my issue is that I have some sort of interference/noise in my left rear channel. No matter what I've tried, it's always been in that channel.

What I've done:

Tried a new head unit: new head unit did fine and powered all channels perfectly. (Sony unit)

Tried new speaker wiring to both front and rear speakers: no change.

Tried different speakers on that channel.

Tried directly connecting speakers to stereo's wire harness: no change.

Made sure all positives and negatives were correct: no change.

Went from stock Cutlass 6 speaker setup to new 14 awg wires running to just door and rear speakers: no change.

Sent head unit to United Radio to verify stereo was ok: they verified everything working correctly.

What I haven't done:

Tried a new wire harness to the Alpine unit: need to find one on eBay..

So, if anyone has any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated! I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is. I always, ALWAYS, get muffled sound in the left rear channel, no matter my configuration. My deck is currently set to Fr/Rear/Sub as far Xover goes.

If you need any more information, I'm happy to supply. I've been trying to figure this out for over a year now! Please help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

EDIT: My front speakers are 4ohm 4x6 Infinity's and my rear are 6x9 2ohm Infinity's.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, unfortunately, it has done this since I've owned the deck. I also bought it NIB.

I can't remember it ever doing this with the OEM stereo (lost at my grandparents house, somehow?), but the channel definitely doesn't do it with a Sony I borrowed. I've been trying to find someone to install the Alpine in their car, but haven't had any takers. :/

It's just the weirdest thing. The noise/muffled sound/interference/whatever it is, is not present/can't be heard with the volume at 0, but it's noticeable when you start getting toward 6-7. It does this on a fresh install, ie reset the deck, eq baseline, xover baseline.

Perhaps I should post a Craigslist ad and see if I can find someone willing to help out in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very reluctant bump..

But ANY ideas would be appreciated! If any more info is needed, please let me know!

Ugh, I don't want to believe I wasted $250 on this deck. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.