Alex's next subs

yeah thats not cheap but thats what you get in the 4 inch coil territory of subs made by fi (pretty sure they're made by fi)
Fi SP4's are cheap for what they are. They have 4" coils. Those were my second choice for the $ I had

Yes, Fi OEM's SSA subs, along with Ascendant Audio.

Fi SP4's are cheap for what they are. They have 4" coils. Those were my second choice for the $ I had
Yes, Fi OEM's SSA subs, along with Ascendant Audio.
yeah they're a great deal tbh just picky about the enclosure i hear

yeah they're a great deal tbh just picky about the enclosure i hear
Not so much "picky" as much as they have a different preference than most stuff. They've got heavy soft parts, relatively soft suspension, and plenty of power handling. Motor isn't super huge like other 4" coil designs, but is by no means small.

I used to have a 15" SP4. It's now in my boss's kid's Buick on a Shark 3500. Sounds good for what it is

good luck with your build. i think you should go flat wall with those woofers. not exactly 4th order lowend monsters..
Getting them custom built. Going to get a different spider pack suggested by the builder, so specs should be better suited for a 4th with my space available.

I'm really set on trying a 4th.

why when i can build my own? lol the SSA evil and SD is a different woofer all together. not going to start a pissing contest but lets just say that 650 for that driver isn't a bad price. that's after shipping FYI
Right, and my price for the Soundrives shipped is less than half of that. SSA doesn't have much room to budge on bulk pricing.

The Fi Team subs I heard at Springfest was the loudest setup I've ever heard. 4 15's flat-walled on 60k of Brazilian HV amp power. The Evil's are similar, so I bet they're great, but I wouldn't pay $650 for them.

Two Soundrives are twice the cone area, similar excursion, and would actually handle more power with two 3" coils than one 4" coil. Plus, I'd imagine they would have more motor force, but I haven't compared the specs.

Right, and my price for the Soundrives shipped is less than half of that. SSA doesn't have much room to budge on bulk pricing.
The Fi Team subs I heard at Springfest was the loudest setup I've ever heard. 4 15's flat-walled on 60k of Brazilian HV amp power. The Evil's are similar, so I bet they're great, but I wouldn't pay $650 for them.

Two Soundrives are twice the cone area, similar excursion, and would actually handle more power with two 3" coils than one 4" coil. Plus, I'd imagine they would have more motor force, but I haven't compared the specs.
some of the LOUDEST cars in the world only use 1 or 2 drivers. ever wondered why?

Just to let you I lost a lot of output below 28hz with these sub'sI think it because they have such a high fs. But upper notes were killer.
Did you break in the sub? You haven't had it very long at all. Also being tuned at 35 you will experience lots of low end rolloff - you should try a different box and breaking it in before giving up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

good luck with your build. i think you should go flat wall with those woofers. not exactly 4th order lowend monsters..

While it is true that cancellation can adversely affect SPL, there aren't any big demo builds running 1 or 2 drivers. Unless you count the extremely inefficient 5"+ coil subs.

More 3" aluminum coil subs will generally trump fewer 4" coils from an efficiency standpoint, even given the same cone area. There are a lot more factors, but in general that is true. BL^2/Re to MMS ratio is a big part of efficiency and it doesn't get any better than a 3" aluminum coil with a nice, strong motor. (as of right now at least... until technology advances). Notice that almost none of the big SPL builds using 1 or 2 subs use a 4" coil. They even use subs with lighter coils and just burp tons of power on them.

And to prove my point even further... there are plenty of SPL builds running an insane amount of subs. There is a no wall S10 with 8 12s that just did a 67-68 - it's not even an extreme build either. Many of the very loud builds with 1-2 subs do nothing but burp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.