Aeroports or slots?

N9ne Millahhh
10+ year member

I have two RE Audio SE-x10D2s and i was wanting to try aeroports because I've heard great things about them, but i have no experience with them at all, nor do i know how to tune the box with the aeros, or even design a box with them, so should i stick with slot ports or go for the aeros? i love the looks of aeros compared to slots, and i think they sound better. and i am looking for 30Hz. if you think aeros, could you help me make a design?

i'll post up some designs as i think of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 26539488View attachment 26539489View attachment 26539490View attachment 26539492View attachment 26539491

The separate chamber box is [1.3cu ft with a 2" aero, flared, at 6.76" long] = each chamber, supposedly tuned to 30Hz like desired, using psp-inc's port calculator on their site.

Second Box is a single chamber, obviously, with 3.01cu. ft with two 3" aeros that are 12.85" long and also flared. This one is also tuned to 30Hz, according to PSP.

Are these accurate, and would they be what i'm looking for (i'd prefer the separate, unless the single chamber would be louder)? Remember, first time aero box designer here..

This is the problem with aeros in smaller boxes. You either need one that's too long or too small in diameter. You realize that a 2" aero is only 3 square inches of port, right? That's not nearly enough for a car audio sub. And a 3" is pushing it. I've used a single 3" in 1.5 and it had pretty f'n bad port noise. It was in the trunk so it didn't bother me much, but it's choking it.

Either make the box bigger so you can use a pair of 4's or a single 6" or do a slot.

i've used both slot and aero's in my boxes. (i am in no way an expert builder but i try lol) i personally like the aero's more, easier to tune and less wood to cut and glue.. try using the "torres box calculator" google it and im sure you can find a link to download it.. that will deff help you with your box design and tuning.. im currently running a single 10 in a 1.45cuf box with a 3" aero tuned to 33hz and it gets loud and low, no port noise as far as i can hear. only issue with aeros imo, they cost more money! gl.

Well maybe once i get the money to build another box, ill have one with slots and one with aeros an then i'll compare! Were my designs adequate for my application though? Or what should i change?

I started building with Aeros and I haven't built a slot ported enclosure since. I would go with 2 4" ports and bend them to follow along the back wall of the enclosure. This configuration resembles an L shaped slot port though so I don't really think it would make any difference.

i found Torres' box calculator but i'm having some troubles trying to figure out the right design cause the RE audio definitely doesn't work with that..so i may need help with the interface of Torres'...

I have not really found issues with flared ports and port noise, I normally only use them when there is limited space and the design will allow for the use of them.

As for your setup, you will likely not see any issues from 3" ports to be honest. You may end up with a little less output then you would get with a slot port or a singular large flared port though.

i found Torres' box calculator but i'm having some troubles trying to figure out the right design cause the RE audio definitely doesn't work with that..so i may need help with the interface of Torres'...
i will say that the re audio calc is easier to use, but not as accurate as torres... what issues are you having with it? ill try to help.. also that "help" box on the torres calc can give ya some good info if your confused about some of the diff option boxes.. also, not sure if it is a universal issue with it but when i enter dimensions on torres and then drastically change them it gives me some crazy numbers. if that happens just restart the program.

I would try to use a slot port. The issue you run into with aeros, smaller boxes, and low tuning is the length of the aeros, usually causing them not to fit in the box (if proper port area).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

N9ne Millahhh

10+ year member
N9ne Millahhh
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from