Aero Port Guidance

Participant count
  • Participant list

The_Grimy_One
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
I'm looking to build an aero ported box for my TC9 10. I've done all the math and I believe 1 4" aero should be good for a 1.5 cube box. Does this sound right to you all?

To tune to around 30-31hz I need a port that is about 22" long. The aero ports from parts express are only 17" long. I can buy a piece of PVC of course. But how vital is it to flare it? To keep it 1 piece it would be very easy to flare the outside side of the port. However I wouldn't be able to do the inside without cutting the port. I cannot find a hard coupler to glue the halves together if I went this route. But I only checked home depot...

Is there any other ideas I am not thinking of?

Thanks for your help In advance.

From my research, most of the guys say 8-12 sq inches of aeroport area per cubic foot.

So for a 1.5 cubic foot box you will want 12 sq inches minimum and 18 sq inches maximum.

The one 4" aero will give you (3.14*2^2) 12.56 sq inches so that would just meet the minimum.

You can flare PVC using a heat gun and a stainless steel bowl. Search google for aeroport flare pvc and I'm sure some stuff will come up.

Hopefully some more experienced members can help you out more as well!

Hey bud don't be afraid to make your own ports. It really can't be easier. I just did mine and the first one I did came out great. You don't need anything that you already don't have.

I put oil in a pan, heat it up. Just make sure the pan is clean when you do it. Put a bowl on your counter on some rags that you can get oily. It takes no more than 5 minutes and that is not rushing it at all. I put the port in the oil, wait 20 seconds and then press it on teh bowl. Do it like 3-4 times and don't press hard. On the last time you do it hold i there until it cools. I really couldn't believe how easy it was to make.

Is your 1.5 cube after port displacement and sub displacement?

Hey bud don't be afraid to make your own ports. It really can't be easier. I just did mine and the first one I did came out great. You don't need anything that you already don't have.
I put oil in a pan, heat it up. Just make sure the pan is clean when you do it. Put a bowl on your counter on some rags that you can get oily. It takes no more than 5 minutes and that is not rushing it at all. I put the port in the oil, wait 20 seconds and then press it on teh bowl. Do it like 3-4 times and don't press hard. On the last time you do it hold i there until it cools. I really couldn't believe how easy it was to make.

Is your 1.5 cube after port displacement and sub displacement?
Now thats an idea. Haha.

I may give that a try. And the 1.5 is after all displacements.

Did you flare both ends or just one? If both, how did you go about mounting it in the box? Thanks for the the help.

Not my idea, but works like a freaking charm. Just make sure that pan is very clean and oil won't even seem like it's on, and heat it up slowly.

I flared both, my port is extrenal and is joined by an elbow. Works great. Mine is a 3inch pvc and no noise on a e8.

Go with a 4" aero, 3" won't be big enough IMO. I ran a ran a 4" with my zvx-8 in 1cuft and it was perfect. I usually make my cutout for the port then hit it with a 3/8" roundover, this let's the outer flare sit nice and tight.

I heat up about 1" of cooking grease on the stove and dip the end in for a couple seconds then put it on the bowl and get my flare on. I've done it 2 ways: flared one end of the port and attached it to the panel, then flared the other end. I've also used a coupler so I could flare a short piece for an inner, but mainly because I wanted to be able to adjust the tuning.

Flaring with a panel attached won't be bad since it's a smaller box. The weight actually makes it a little easier to get an even flare. No way I'd flare just the outer and not do the inner.

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.