Aero port design for SSA GCON

Participant count
  • Participant list

Djt5278

Erie, PA
Vehicle : 21 f150 extended cab

Location in the vehicle: behind rear seat

Space available (Length x Width x Height): 32.5x12.5x5x6.5, going to be a tight fit. Can get another .1^3ft if needed, but that would be a decent amount of work. Port can stick out about 30" from box.

Subwoofer make and model: SSA GCON 10 D2 with all options

Subwoofer Size: 10

Number of Subwoofers: 1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): aero

What type of music do you like?: Deep bass rap

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday listening, but low and loud.

Tuning Freq (Hz): 28

Volume : 1^3ft

Questions: Having trouble calculating my port length/size/amount. I cant get port velocity down/tuning right without having a ridiculously long port or over 50ms port velocity.

Last edited:
Ports in boxes like that can be tricky. I can maybe design you one, if you want. I'm not sure how to tell you how to design that without just doing it myself.

I played around more and raising the tuning to 32hz gives me a 34" long 4" port. I guess I could start pushing the port into the box, but then I'd lose airspace which is already low. But still, 34" seems long. If you wouldn't mind giving it a go I'd appreciate it! Subwoofer is a D2 voice coil, btw.

I played around more and raising the tuning to 32hz gives me a 34" long 4" port. I guess I could start pushing the port into the box, but then I'd lose airspace which is already low. But still, 34" seems long. If you wouldn't mind giving it a go I'd appreciate it! Subwoofer is a D2 voice coil, btw.

I'd do what fits. I do charge for box designs. You need to get a system that fits properly, or it won't play fully, usually.

On these aeroports, is a 4 inch aero port 4 inches measured on the inside dimension, or is it 4 to the outside? I do a lot of these with normal pvc, and 4 inch pvc measures 3.875 on the inside and 4 on the outside.

On these aeroports, is a 4 inch aero port 4 inches measured on the inside dimension, or is it 4 to the outside? I do a lot of these with normal pvc, and 4 inch pvc measures 3.875 on the inside and 4 on the outside.

All PVC seems to vary some. There’s schedule 40 and 80 PVC charts that show average ID and OD.

Aeroport sizing is measured in ID, though its about a tenth of an inch smaller but thats a negligible amount amd I would just ignore it.

Sch 40 pvc size is measured ID

Sch 35 pvc (sewer and drain) has an ID smaller than its nominal size (4in is like 3.875 or so)

Not sure how sch 80 specs out.

Aeroport sizing is measured in ID, though its about a tenth of an inch smaller but thats a negligible amount amd I would just ignore it.

Sch 40 pvc size is measured ID

Sch 35 pvc (sewer and drain) has an ID smaller than its nominal size (4in is like 3.875 or so)

Not sure how sch 80 specs out.

Schedule 80 is thick thick walled for high pressure. IIRC the wall thickness is maybe double or so of 40, I think the ID is eaten into some.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...