Advice?

Motokid
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
Alright, So basically I finally got my DAD KMH 15, my box, and my PPI BK1800.1, 0 gauge wire, all of that in my car and everything. I installed it Monday, and with a series of events and things not working. I stopped by my local shop, where I bought the custom box, and the sub on Tuesday, fixed my problem in the parking lot and had it working. The guy running the shop came outside and I asked him to tune my amp. Sure enough he didn't have his DD1 with him to tune it, but he knew what he was doing and tuned my amp. It didn't really sound that good, but he said it'll work for now while I went on my trip (which I was leaving right after that and coming back that night).

On Wednesday I did some checking on everything, my LOC was supposedly wired wrong, and it wasn't. But anyways, I flipped my box around facing the port firing at my trunk, and it sounded much much better. I listened to it off and on that day, turning my volume close to all the way up, which was okay because he tuned my amp with my volume all the way up and what not. That Wednesday night, i was showing my friend my new system, but it wasn't seeming to be bumping as loud as it was that morning.

Thursday rolls around, today. I woke up this morning and decided to run to walmart. I bumped the whole 15 minutes up the road to walmart. Went inside, came out and headed home. About 5 minutes from the house I started to smell something.. Okay? stuck my head out the windows to see if I smelled fire from local rednecks burning ****. They weren't. I turned my music off and turned around and sure enough it was coming from my trunk. Once I got home, popped my trunk and sure enough smoke is pouring out of my port.. My sub I bought 2 days ago was fried, wouldn't even make a sound.

Tomorrow I plan to go to the shop and have him take a look at it. I called him and he basically said "sometimes that just happens" So, he doesn't care. Even though hes the one who tuned my amp. I'm going to see how much it is to repair it. But im sure it'll be more to repair than to buy a new one. The sub was around $250..

What Do I do? Should I try to see if theres any warranty, or throw it out there again that he tuned my amp, or is it just 100% my fault and im an idiot for bumping my music.. Like I'm super upset that I just spent all this money (for me, not compared to some of you audio heads that spend thoughsands) But i'm in college and have been saving for months, and I get to bump for 2 days, not even 100% happy with how it sounded and boom, sub decided to die.

well there's a couple of things wrong here. You have an amp that's capable of pushing out 1800 watts wired to a woofer that only supports 500 watts RMS; I'm surprised you didn't blow it on Day 1; And if he tuned the amp on the fly without using a clamp meter, there's no way of guaranteeing how much power was going to the sub. My advice is to buy a sub that can handle somewhere between 1500 watts RMS - 2000 watts RMS; There's no way that sub was going to last

He may have set your amp correctly, but you prob turned the bass and eq and everything up, causing your sub to start clipping. it may be a dodgy sub that had a fault from new, but most likely the guy who set your amp up didn't tell you what you needed to no so you wouldn't do damage.

well there's a couple of things wrong here. You have an amp that's capable of pushing out 1800 watts wired to a woofer that only supports 500 watts RMS; I'm surprised you didn't blow it on Day 1; And if he tuned the amp on the fly without using a clamp meter, there's no way of guaranteeing how much power was going to the sub. My advice is to buy a sub that can handle somewhere between 1500 watts RMS - 2000 watts RMS; There's no way that sub was going to last
Well, true. I just wanted to buy a little bit bigger of an amp incase of upgrade later on. Noone says that I had to use the full 1800 watts that it 'could' push. That's why you tune an amp for that sub so that it can't be blown even at say max volume.. I mean it's whatever. I'm just going to see what He can do and if worst comes to worst I'll just save for a few months and spend another $300 on an FI SSD 15 or something which can handle around 1500 RMS or something.

He may have set your amp correctly, but you prob turned the bass and eq and everything up, causing your sub to start clipping. it may be a dodgy sub that had a fault from new, but most likely the guy who set your amp up didn't tell you what you needed to no so you wouldn't do damage.
Nope, didn't touch a thing. He set it, I pulled out and left, I didn't touch anything on the deck or amp. I watched him tune it, took him all of about 2 minutes. If that. I really feel as if he is at fault, because he tuned it without any tools. Just because I turned it up doesn't mean I should be at fault for it. People at the shops are supposed to set your stuff so it can't be blown even at max volume, or somewhere closes to it, and like you said let me know.

Nope, didn't touch a thing. He set it, I pulled out and left, I didn't touch anything on the deck or amp. I watched him tune it, took him all of about 2 minutes. If that. I really feel as if he is at fault, because he tuned it without any tools. Just because I turned it up doesn't mean I should be at fault for it. People at the shops are supposed to set your stuff so it can't be blown even at max volume, or somewhere closes to it, and like you said let me know.
Not entirely true. You never play your system past a certain point. After that point you are just clipping your system to death. End result. Blown sub and or amp also with that size of an amp you need a big 3 kit at least and 0 gauge wiring Does sound like the amp wasn't set properly. But he should have told you not to play your system full tilt to So both your fault

Not entirely true. You never play your system past a certain point. After that point you are just clipping your system to death. End result. Blown sub and or amp also with that size of an amp you need a big 3 kit at least and 0 gauge wiring Does sound like the amp wasn't set properly. But he should have told you not to play your system full tilt to So both your fault
Correct. I understand. I've got 0 gauge wire. But stock alt, battery for now. But what should I do, just take the $250 hit from the sub even though it's partially his fault to. And just get over it? Or go back up there tomorrow and see what we can do. Like i've stated. I'm just super upset that I spent all this money and had it for barely 2 days. But, such as life I guess.

Correct. I understand. I've got 0 gauge wire. But stock alt, battery for now. But what should I do, just take the $250 hit from the sub even though it's partially his fault to. And just get over it? Or go back up there tomorrow and see what we can do. Like i've stated. I'm just super upset that I spent all this money and had it for barely 2 days. But, such as life I guess.
It can never hurt to try and see if they will do anything for you. Chances are they'll try to say it is a bad amp or something else. What was the original sub ? Did you check the coils to see if they are good ?

It can never hurt to try and see if they will do anything for you. Chances are they'll try to say it is a bad amp or something else. What was the original sub ? Did you check the coils to see if they are good ?
They already tried to say it was a bad amp when my idiot self put the power wire in the ground slot, ground in the power slot on the amp a few days ago when wiring it. Honestly a ******* mistake and wasn't paying attention. Amp should have blown anyways.

The sub is a DAD KMH 15. I haven't even pulled it out of the box. I left it exactly how it is and disconnected the amp. Don't want to hear any of the 'pulling it out of the box voids warranty..' blah blah blah. Just like when you pull the top of the amp off they'll get you for that ****, I just left it alone and they can look at it.

The sub just started smoking really bad, not a sound will even come out of it now, so I couldn't tell you what's wrong, I don't have any idea. I'm by no means an expert at any of this.

Dude, you could've gotten a MOFO 15" Sub for around $150.00 that's rated at 1500 WATT RMS
Im probably going to have to do that now, lol. I'll have to find a 1500 RMS that'll do okay in a 2.5 cube ported box. It's tuned around 35hz

They already tried to say it was a bad amp when my idiot self put the power wire in the ground slot, ground in the power slot on the amp a few days ago when wiring it. Honestly a ******* mistake and wasn't paying attention. Amp should have blown anyways.
The sub is a DAD KMH 15. I haven't even pulled it out of the box. I left it exactly how it is and disconnected the amp. Don't want to hear any of the 'pulling it out of the box voids warranty..' blah blah blah. Just like when you pull the top of the amp off they'll get you for that ****, I just left it alone and they can look at it.

The sub just started smoking really bad, not a sound will even come out of it now, so I couldn't tell you what's wrong, I don't have any idea. I'm by no means an expert at any of this.
Get a ohm meter. Check the coils on the dad if the subs in a box it may not be hooked up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.