Advice between New MB Quart FX1.600 vs Used Alpine MRP-M500?

realdragonluv
10+ year member

Good morning. I've been reading the forums for a few days now and finally joined. I was wondering what are the thoughts between getting one of the following:

Added Boston Acoustic gt-2125 $123

RMS Power Rating(CEA-2006-A):

Bridged, 4 ohms: 400 watts x 1 chan.

Bridged, 2 ohms: 600 watts x 1 chan.

RMS Power Rating(12V):

Bridged, 2 ohms: 475 watts x 1 chan

New MB Quart FX1.600 (around $100 with 1 yr warranty, $114 with 3 year warranty)

Class AB

RMS Power Rating:

4 ohms: 300 watts x 1 chan.

2 ohms: 600 watts x 1 chan.

Signal to noise ratio: 95dB

Variable low-pass filter: 40-300 Hz

Subsonic filter: 10-40 Hz

Frequency response: 10-300 Hz

Used Alpine MRP-M500 (History unknown. $101 but has a 2 year warranty for that price)

Class-D (Digital) Amplifier Type

RMS Power at 4 ohms: 300W x 1 (1% THD)

RMS Power at 2 ohms: 500W x 1

Signal to Noise: 100dBA

Adjustable low-pass filter (50-200Hz, 24 dB/octave)

Subsonic Filter (24 dB at 15 Hz)

Frequency Response: 20 -200Hz (200Hz/-3dB)

The setup this will be used on:

DDX-418 head unit

One Subwoofer: Infinity 1260w in a single sealed enclosure RMS: 300 watts Impedance: Single 4 Ohm

Could switch to a 1262W if it would be better/beneficial. Specs are the same except for Dual VC instead of single.

Any feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've only been given about $100 budget for the amp so those two seem to be decent. I'm only looking to fill in the low end, nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a direct experience with either of these two amplifiers, but my gut feeling is that Alpine, when new, is a better built, better executed product. All of recent MB Quart products have obvious cost cutting in them, and FX is their lowest end line. Bump your budget a little and look for something more solid. I'd recommend to run a PPI Phantom P600.2 bridged. Onlinecarstereo.com has it for $140 right now. I have a 4-channel version of this. It runs cool and takes lots of abuse. Don't worry about fuse rating. Since you will hopefully run only 300watts to the subwoofer (setting gain by DMM might be a good idea), the amplifier will need less current than what the fuse rating may suggest.

Another amplifier you can try is Boston Acoustics GT-2125, which should be good for about 400watts bridged. The GT line of amplifiers was clean enough to power full range reference quality speakers, not just subwoofers, and it was somewhat pricey. Now BA is exiting car market, and some vendors are clearing old inventory at good prices (this one is for about $125 on Sonicelectronix). The only issue is that it's a Class A/B design, so it needs good airflow about it. In my book, P600.2 is the winner though. Being only $15 more expensive, it's very small and efficient.

i would get the mbq because its brand new and has the best warranty

you dont know how bad the alpine was beat on before you get it, and how do you get a waranty on that? warranties are usually not transferrable from the original owner

Well certainly some food for thought. I had looked at the Boston Acoustics but I saw it didn't have the subsonic filter. It's been years since I had a sub and amp so this is all new again so I don't know how good/important that feature is.

I would certainly like to keep it in the 100-120ish range so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The next question would be am I better off getting the Dual Voice Coil Infinity and have the gain all the way down running the amp at 2 ohm or keep the single at 4 ohm? (assuming the amp I get in the end is 2-Ohm stable)

To answer the used warranty question on the Alpine, it would be purchased through a third party vendor similar to SquareTrade.

Thanks in advance, I've been out of this for too long...

Well from the replies and further research on these boards I'm probably leaning towards going with the Boston Acoustics GT-2125 since it's available for around $123.

RMS Power Rating(CEA-2006-A):

Bridged, 4 ohms: 400 watts x 1 chan.

Bridged, 2 ohms: 600 watts x 1 chan.

RMS Power Rating(12V):

Bridged, 2 ohms: 475 watts x 1 chan.

Now is it better to be paired with the DVC Infinity 1262w bringing it down to 2 ohm load or the single VC 1260w 4 ohm load? They are both rated 300 RMS and will still be in a sealed 1.25 box

Thanks again for the help so far.

Well I finally made the purchase and it's nothing like I originally had here.

I ended up going with the Boston Acoustics GT-2125 amp and the Boston Acoustics G112PS pre-loaded SUB. I just couldn't pass up Boston Acoustics at those prices and thanks to everyone's suggestions.

I was thinking of doing a step by step amp install post with pictures for an 2008 Buick Lacrosse. Is this something that is supported on caraudio.com? I've done something similar when I installed the head unit in my wifes car over here on a 2010 Dodge Caravan SXT: A "How To" install aftermarket radio ***Warning very picture heavy***

Well I finally made the purchase and it's nothing like I originally had here.
I ended up going with the Boston Acoustics GT-2125 amp and the Boston Acoustics G112PS pre-loaded SUB. I just couldn't pass up Boston Acoustics at those prices and thanks to everyone's suggestions.

I was thinking of doing a step by step amp install post with pictures for an 2008 Buick Lacrosse. Is this something that is supported on caraudio.com? I've done something similar when I installed the head unit in my wifes car over here on a 2010 Dodge Caravan SXT: A "How To" install aftermarket radio ***Warning very picture heavy***
anything to help the noob idiots that think SS filters are for pussies is welcomed here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.