Adding to the Bang & Olufsen System

Participant count
  • Participants list

Conmoto

CarAudio.com Newbie
Disclosure: I am a Noob when it comes to car audio.

Audi A8 with the B&O audio system. Nice setup, but the 8" sub lacked punch. I ordered the JL 12" active/sealed subwoofer, instal kit, and remote volume from Crutchfield, but got nervous about cutting into a relatively complex MOST system so I took it to a local car audio shop. Pretty basic instal with them tapping into the wires to the factory sub. When they were complete I gave a listen and was sadly disappointed. Nothing about the sub sounded refined. The higher sub frequencies were so hot that it took away from everything. We talked about other options to tune the sub, which included a $350 BitOne processor plus $400 or so worth of labor. Just for the sub...ick. It wasn't until I got home that I realized they didn't disconnect the factory sub! I assumed that this was the reason for the obnoxious sub frequency, but I don't know enough about overlapping frequencies to know if this is true.

Will disconnecting the 8" factory sub clean things up? If so, is there a component I can use after the DSP to equalize the JL sub? I'd really like to avoid purchasing the BitOne.

Also, I realize that car audio will never sound as refined as quality home audio, but am I expecting too much from this JL sub? After a frequency sweep, I was pleased that I could begin to feel something around 22Hz, but as the frequency began to rise, it sounded like a resonate box of anger instead of smooth enjoyable bass.

Do I need to modify the geometry of the truck?

Is it out of phase? Reverse the RCA inputs?

Should I point the driver in a different direction?

Should the installer have known to disconnect the factory sub?

So many questions. Thanks in advance to those that chime in.

Peace.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.