Adding ports to my truck box

Participant count
  • Participant list

xbwfo
10+ year member

For my reg cab truck I built as big a sub box as I could fit behind the seat.

It's a 3/4" MDF common chamber wedge shaped box for 2 subs:

- 48" width

- top 4" deep

- bottom 10 1/2" deep

- 18" tall

I modeled it in autocad and the total volume is 2.3 cubes.

It has an recess in it in the center to clear my center console and to make room for an amp (reg cab trucks are very cramped for space).

It has 2 Alpine Type - R 1221d drivers in it wired to a 2 ohm load, driven by a MTX 1501d amp.

It sounds good and solid now but I would like more volume from it and for it to play lower than it does now.

With this small of an enclosure, can I see an improvement in volume by porting it?

The most room for 2 ports external to the box can be:

3" wide x 4" tall x 32"

Will this cause to much port noise?

What should I do ? port it ? get more efficient drivers (e12a's) ?

JMAC,

Thanks, after reading ALOT //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif of your posts I'll take your word for it.

The Type-R's are OK and have good SQ the way they are, their just lacking in volume.

One of the many draw backs to a regular cab truck is that the subs play right into the back of the seats.

OK for the back massage, but it ***** up the db's. If I had my setup in a suv or even a extra cab it would be more than loud enough.

Since more watts won't really do anything except help me blow my subs I'll probably get some ED e12a's hoping they will be louder than the Alpines.

I'm stuck with a mounting depth dimension on the subs I can use of about 7" - 7.5".

Any ideas?

JMAC,
Thanks, after reading ALOT //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif of your posts I'll take your word for it.

The Type-R's are OK and have good SQ the way they are, their just lacking in volume.

One of the many draw backs to a regular cab truck is that the subs play right into the back of the seats.

OK for the back massage, but it ***** up the db's. If I had my setup in a suv or even a extra cab it would be more than loud enough.

Since more watts won't really do anything except help me blow my subs I'll probably get some ED e12a's hoping they will be louder than the Alpines.

I'm stuck with a mounting depth dimension on the subs I can use of about 7" - 7.5".

Any ideas?
yep, jmacs knows his **** hes figuring out my port calculations for me rite now. In ur situation id stick with sealed. Type R's are really good sounding woofers u wouldnt wana make em sound crappy with a small ported box.

A's would be awesome and they will be loud enough sealed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.