Adding batteries.

pensacol
10+ year member

?
Haven't been here in a while, but just ordered a new BXI-1606D for my 2 livewire 12"s. I'm going to be running it in a stock dakota with a 90 amp alt. I want to add a second battery for it, but not 100% sure how to run it. Will it be hooked up like this:

batteries.jpg

Or should I have a run from each battery to the amp instead of one? Also planning on running Fosgate 4AWG to it. Will this suffice or should I go bigger?

unless you buy both batts. at the same time & they are identical it would be advisable to put a dual batt isolator between the to batts.

It's a '93. Yeah both the batteries are different. One Is a standard size, and the other is a big 1000 cca. So definatly a battery isolator unless a get another battery the same size as one of the other's right? Or identical shall I say.

Thats how I do mine. Don't forget the fuses after first and before and after second battery. I'm sure you just didn't feel like drawing them in.

Dude it was hard enough for me to draw that in paint as it is.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I wasn't even about to try and add some fuses, but to answer your question yes, they were in the design.

it looks good. run positive from front batt to second one, placing a fuse w/i a foot of each batt. then run another positive from the second batt to the amp (with a fuse in between) i normally run the negative from the amp to the second batt, but some just make a ground for the second batt and the amp seperate.

Dont put a wet cell battery in the cab, you have a truck if you get a wet cell then put it in the bed, otherwise an agm batt or gel cell inside. I asked what year because you can pick up a bigger alt off something else. I assume you have a 3.9/5.2, you can pick up 120amp off a ram or dakota, and I believe the early grand cherokees wih the higher options had a 140amp or something like that. Anything 3.9/5.2/5.9. You might have to get a pulley swapped but the small case nippendenso alt is what you have.

so would a 120 amp be enough or would i definatly need another battery? i guess i could put the 1000 cca under the hood and remove the small one. theres plenty of room. the most ive had in this truck was 800 watts. i just wanna make sure i have enough power to run the amp to its potential.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.