adding another amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

pbnj22
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Duluth MN
I have an amp in the back for a sub and now im going to add a 4channel amp to power the speakers

do I need to run a distro or can i just make another run to the battery?

also instead of running speaker wire to each speaker can i just tap into the speaker wire behind the radio.. I only plan on running 50-100 watts rms to each speaker..

00 ford exploder 5.0 if that matters

a distribution block is a good idea to split power. you can certainly run a separate power wire.

you can certainly tap speaker wire behind the head unit, this is made easier with a pair of harnesses, 70- and 71- for your car.

a distribution block is a good idea to split power. you can certainly run a separate power wire.
you can certainly tap speaker wire behind the head unit, this is made easier with a pair of harnesses, 70- and 71- for your car.
What would the harnesses do? i already have a aftermaket radio so wouldnt i just run rcas to that and then run speaker wire to the back and tap into each speaker wire in the back of the radio?

What would the harnesses do? i already have a aftermaket radio so wouldnt i just run rcas to that and then run speaker wire to the back and tap into each speaker wire in the back of the radio?
Yes. He was assuming your head unit was still factory.

Like he said, either way is acceptable, but using a distribution block will be much cheaper.

Yes. He was assuming your head unit was still factory.
Like he said, either way is acceptable, but using a distribution block will be much cheaper.
My only concern is Im running 1k rms at 4 ohm in the back and eventually when i get a better alt i plan on running 2k rms at 1 ohm and i only have one run of 0 guage going to the back so would that be enough to split off of to a distro for my comps?

If you plan on running 2kW RMS on one amp, then having another 200-400W RMS for your speakers, you'll need a high output alternator and at least one battery in the back. But yes, a single run of 0 gauge would be sufficient up to about 300 amps, give or take 50 based on the exact wire you're using, or maybe more if the total length of the run is

Your Explorer's alternator might be able to keep up though, I don't know what your alternator is rated at.

If you plan on running 2kW RMS on one amp, then having another 200-400W RMS for your speakers, you'll need a high output alternator and at least one battery in the back. But yes, a single run of 0 gauge would be sufficient up to about 300 amps, give or take 50 based on the exact wire you're using, or maybe more if the total length of the run is
Your Explorer's alternator might be able to keep up though, I don't know what your alternator is rated at.
its a decent 120 amp alt... but the first thing i did was went straight to 1 ohm to watch my battery meter in my car drop on my dash so i figured i would play it safe and back it off to 4 ohm.. big 3 already done of course... needless to say a few more miles down the road... my alt was done and a few more miles my battery dies :/ Not sure if it was a coincident but i dont want to find out lol so for now I will run 1k rms in the back and a decent 100x4 at 4 ohm rms to each speaker up front.. until i get more money for an alt and another batt.

i have found that a second run of power wire for the speaker amp will result in higher voltage at the speaker amp - by a few tenths. basically, since voltage drop is based on current draw, the current draw of the sub amp causes voltage drop on that power wire. split power wire and you save that voltage drop.

if the electrical system can't keep up, then this doesn't matter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.