Adding Amp + 2 Subs

I'm adding two 12" subs to my 2011 Mazda 3 i Touring without the Bose sound system (no RCA outputs from head unit). I also have a single channel, class D, monoblock amplifier. I'm new to audio equipment so naturally I have a few questions:

Are my subs and amp compatible?

Each sub requires 470W RMS power (CEA 2031) at 4Ω rated impedance. My amplifier puts out 900W RMS power at 4Ω and 1400W RMS power at 2Ω.

Which wiring diagram should I use, or should I do something completely differnet?

Diagram 1:

i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy296/dabomb7678/SubWiring_zps3a8ed3ce.png

Diagram 2:

i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy296/dabomb7678/SubWiring2_zpsf395a5be.png

I did the best I could to illustrate my design in paint :p. I have an enclosure with clips in the back that hold wires in place. I was wondering if having the wires inside the box would interfere with the port or something like that. Does it not matter? Both of these would require 940W at 2Ω, and not cause a fire, short, or anything crazy, right?

What gauge wire should I use for my amps power, ground, and remote wires?

Beside each RMS power output on my amp, it says 14.4V. Example: RMS Power 4Ω, 14.4V : 900W. I wasn't sure if this information would help or not.

Should I use the High Level input connections or purchase an LOC?

I popped out my head unit to take a quick peak and I could not see any RCA outputs - just the standard harnesses. My amp came with a port and a connector that has five small wires coming from it. There's two for a right channel, two for a left channel, and a ground wire. However, my amp also has RCA inputs. Would I be able to purchase smaller wire to run each of the five wires from the High Level input to my head unit and splice them to appropriate wires? Or should I go the LOC route?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help is appreciated.

~Peace Love Ganja

Use your high level outputs. Use 4 gauge for power and ground. Use any high gauge wire for the remote. I use half a cheap speaker wire. As for the subs get some decent gauge wire. Hook sub jacks up to your box inputs. Use one length of wire for each sub and both wires in amp.

If you want this setup to actually sound good, get yourself an Audiocontrol Epicenter plus - It has speaker level inputs and will convert that to a CLEAN tweak-able signal for your subs - If your head unit doesn't have rca outputs this is one of the best things you can get IMO for a tailor-able dedicated CLEAN signal to your sub amp(s)
See maybe that one loc is an exception, but I have had terrible luck with them. High level inputs have always worked well for me. Plus he is running a sub so sq is probably not his main concern

The Audiocontrol Epicenter Plus is NOT just a line out converter !!! It Is A Digital Bass Restoration Processor That You Can Continue To Use Even After You Upgrade Your HU with a nice one that has RCA's (It also has RCA inputs as well as the high level speaker inputs) I can guarantee you that you will NOT get the voltage & signal quality from any of these cheapo LOC's you are talking about in here, but do what you want LOL GL with that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.