Active setup, ID XS and Rainbow tweets or different tweets

04silverz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
San Antonio
Think Im finally gonna make the jump to active setup within the near future. This will be my first time to attempt and will probably be quite a chore for me to get it all figured out. Hopefully it will be worth it.

I currently have Rainbow sac465 kicks and love the cal 25 tweeter. seems like it might be kinda hard to sell the woofers though without the tweeter completing the set.

Should I **** it up and use the cal 25 and just get what I can for the rest of the set or pick up a tweeter off of parts express/madisound to replace it with?

Headunit is a pioneer 80prs if it matters and subs will be 2 idmax 12s. amps are crossfire 804 and jbl gto2400.1

edit: to clarify, with the ID speakers I am talking about the mids and trying to match up tweets with them. Or maybe even re xxx mids but will def be one of those two

Yeah I guess I could. Part of reason though is that due to having two woofers per door I have door pods sticking out that Im getting kinda tired of. Plus Im already getting/am confused on active and was figuring dealing with two less speakers might be easier to grasp/handle

Lots of reading to do over thenext few days.

Yeah I guess I could. Part of reason though is that due to having two woofers per door I have door pods sticking out that Im getting kinda tired of. Plus Im already getting/am confused on active and was figuring dealing with two less speakers might be easier to grasp/handleLots of reading to do over the next few days.
really when you are just talking active having two speakers does change anything if they are the same speaker. active just means using a crossover on the amp or headunit to control the speakers that are amped on individual channels of the amp. so you tweets can have 30w and your mids 200w.

time alignment and eq is what will kill you with 2 speakers but it can work

lol. Yeah im figuring two speakers plus tweets has to be more difficult, but again im just assuming. not to mention that ive had these for about two years and that is as long as ive ever had speakers, either subs or mids/comps. figure its time to move on to something new if plausible. been eyeballing the xxx mids ever since the first version came out years ago and have also always loved ID stuff.

been tossing around jbl gti series as well

so basically i would just leave all six speakers hooked up to the amp teh same way, i would just disconnect the wires from the crossovers (have two of those as well since the mids HAVE to he high passed at 80) and control everything from the HU right?

Yeah my only concern is trying to sell my mids as an incomplete set

Guess I'll have to see how it all plays out. Try it out with what I have first would be best idea I guess. Wish it wasn't gonna be do hot all weekend. Makes me not want to go outside

just use two amp channels to run the tweeters off the HU front/high out.

use two amp channels to run the door woofers off the HU rear/mid out.

use the mono amp to run the subs off the HU sub out.

in the HU,

you set the high pass crossover point and slope for the front/high out to tweeter amp channels

you set the bandpass crossover points and slopes for the rear/mid out to the mid/midbass amp channels

you set the low pass crossover point and slope for the sub out to the sub amp channel

that's pretty much it. no amp crsssovers needed (just set them to "full")

note that a 12dB/oct and 18dB/oct slope gives a 180deg phase shift. so it's best to use the same slope for mids and tweeters.

dual door woofers can sound much better if you put a passive low pass filter on the closest woofer, letting the further one take care of midrange duties by itself while both handle midbass. it can be as simple as a 200-300Hz LPF at a gentle slope of 6dB/oct (single inductor in series) on one of the woofers.

JBL has done this for decades with their dual 15" PA speakers - a quasi-3-way to prevent midrange comb filtering.

Great info I really appreciate it

Would love to tackle this today but heat index is gonna be 110. Probably spend all day on water instead

I'll probably use one woofer at first and see how it sounds then look into the passive cross over

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.