active/passive x-overs?

Biggest difference is flexability mainly

active crossovers can be adjusted ( slope , xover point, yada yada) electronically with either turning a pot, switch, or through software. Passive crossovers, once built, can't be adjusted other than maybe tweeter attenuation without rebuilding it ( changing caps, resistors, coils....) . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Passive crossovers are what come in a typical component set. The crossover point for the woofer to tweeter is set, and you can't adjust. The amp/headunit goes through the passive crossover and then into the speakers.

Active, like stated above, gives you a lot more flexibility. You would have you have a headunit that is active capable, to adjust that crossover frequency on your own, or you could use multiple amps/channels, running one channel to the tweeter, and another channel to the woofer.

Or you can buy a 3-way active crossover. It's not just in the HU's.

Passive is where the amplified signal (after the amp) PASSES through the xover,

Active is where the low level (RCA) signal is ACTIVELY crossed over by an electrical unit.

Passive xovers are of the devil when SQ is considered. It's a very disputed topic, But I stand that passives ****. This is from Scott Buwalda himself

"Passive crossovers are of the devil. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Seriously though, there is no good, defensible reason to use passive crossovers. Insertion losses, odd-order phase shift, damping factor dropping to zero on amplifiers, no flexibility, and the list goes on.

Passive crossovers will (hopefully) someday be the cassette tape of this industry. Only the really old school guys continuing to dabble with them..."

Thread: Buwalda Hybrids International Bulletin Board • View topic - Why do some companies strongly suggest Passive crossovers??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.