Acquired a new JL 10W7. Not very impressed with its performance. Advice?

Participant count
  • Participant list

4EVRLRNING

I have recently traded some welding work for a brand new still in box JL 10W7. I have always heard great things about the W7, but have also always heard, "Don't bother, get Sundown, RE etc..." Again, This guy had one to trade, so that's what happened.

I bought an Ebay 1.52 cu/ft ported box tuned to 35hz. Installed the sub and unplugged my two 12" L7's, and plugged in the JL. Amp is a Hifonics brutus rated at 2600 watts. So, I know the sub is getting at least 500w. This is in my extended cab silverado. Sub just sitting on the back seat with sub and port pointing toward headliner.

Now, what I am impressed with is how low this one 10" sub will play. I would say it easily does 35hz. I would also say I can clearly hear anything from 30hz to probably 80hz. What I am not impressed with is how loud the sub will play before I can hear is start to distort. Also, on the higher frequencies (60-100hz) is sounds very muddy and wants to distort sooner. I actually have not noticed distortion down low. But it does seem to want to pop or bottom out if I push it too hard (Which could be said for any sub I guess)

I guess I'm asking what some realistic expectations should be for this one sub. I'm used to listening to two 12" L7's at 2 ohms in a very small sealed boxes, on that same Hifonics. They are by far not the loudest subs I've had, but they are substantially louder and punchier and and just sound better. They are under the back seat pointed to the floor.

Now, I know I'm comparing two 12" subs to one 10" sub. But compared to other 12 L7's I've heard in ported boxes, mine are very tame. I'm guessing I'd be lucky to hit 135spl. That being said... I think that 10w7 would be lucky to hit anything over 125-130spl. Does that sound reasonable? Am I just expecting too much from this little 10" Oh... Do I maybe need to break it in more? I've got about 2 hours of mid volume play time on it.

Anyways, I know there's a gazillion factors, but over all, does it sound like it's performing as it should?

Problem number 1: Its a 10, unless you have it in a T line enclosure, you aren't gonna see anything substantial with output. Especially against 12s that are basically 15s because of the increased cone area.

Problem number 2: EBAY BOX aka trash.

Problem number 3: Your box orientation *****. Firing up like that is horrible unless the box is 6-12 inches away from the roof. You need a side ported box or even try flipping the box firing back towards the rear wall or to the side.

All these problems stems from you buying an Ebay box.

Ok, that being said. Ditch the Ebay box... Got it.

What about the distortion I'm hearing. It's clearly coming from the sub. While pointing the sub backwards will muffle some of that, that doesn't get rid of the actual distortion. Could that be from lack of break in, or is that also ****** ebay box? I wouldn't think that would be the box since I can hear it coming directly from the sub itself. But, that's why I'm asking you guys.

So does that 125-130 max SPL range sound about right for that on 10" sub?

EDIT:

This sub was going to end up in the back of my 2004 GTO. It would not be staying in the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, that being said. Ditch the Ebay box... Got it.
What about the distortion I'm hearing. It's clearly coming from the sub. While pointing the sub backwards will muffle some of that, that doesn't get rid of the actual distortion. Could that be from lack of break in, or is that also ****** ebay box? I wouldn't think that would be the box since I can hear it coming directly from the sub itself. But, that's why I'm asking you guys.

So does that 125-130 max SPL range sound about right for that on 10" sub?

EDIT:

This sub was going to end up in the back of my 2004 GTO. It would not be staying in the truck.
take the sub out and put it through a free air test to see if its actually the sub or if the box is falling loose.

Problem number 1: Its a 10, unless you have it in a T line enclosure, you aren't gonna see anything substantial with output. Especially against 12s that are basically 15s because of the increased cone area.
Problem number 2: EBAY BOX aka trash.

Problem number 3: Your box orientation *****. Firing up like that is horrible unless the box is 6-12 inches away from the roof. You need a side ported box or even try flipping the box firing back towards the rear wall or to the side.

All these problems stems from you buying an Ebay box.
All of this.

Comparing a single 10 to essentially a pair of 15's did you really expect more output?

As far as actual sound, box build/tuning and position/aiming play a big role there.

There's a fellow up my way who does 151 and change with a pair of W7 12's on a pair of Sundown 2K amps. W7 is a plenty capable sub so if it doesn't sound good and get loud (for what it is) chalk it up to user error.

You guys are right. After reading what seems to be hundreds of reviews about how awesome the w7's are, I guess I just hyped them up in my head to be some kind of physics defying magical speaker. Looks like I'll just be selling it to get something a little more substantial.

Thanks for the help guys.

W7 is an ok woofer. Nothing to write home about. Good deal you got it for some labor you did. But ya down grading cone size is not what you want to be doing if you wanna be Impressed lol... 1 single 10" is only going to get so loud. Do you have a link to the box you bought?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.