accidently hooked ground and power up backwards

I did this to my old Orion HCCA 275G4 by hooking it up in the dark //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif it played for about 2 minutes after I replaced all the fuses before she shut down for good. It still gives me a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about it.

I done this being in a rush not that long ago, and fried my DTR 1700... reason I no longer run the same colour power and ground wires.. All I can say is slow down and take your time next time.. Lesson learned...

Youll probably be much cheaper off to just buy a new one. Maybe read around on here and find a deal on a used but better one in the same price range?

Did you ever check all of your fuses?

yeh not sure if the ones i tried swapping them out with are any good or not tho but the fuses in it dont seem any different than they were when they were workin

Had a color blind friend hook up one of my old fosgates this way, let out the magic smoke, He then informed me of his colorblindness

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

if you have a volt meter, put it on ohms and read across the fuse

You're going to want the same size power and ground wires.

^^^This. Go back and re-check everything. If you find no fuses blown, and you're sure the wiring is done right, open that amp up.
no burn marks inside the amp anywhere

no burn marks inside the amp anywhere
You're getting 12V or more from the battery at the amp terminals?

Is this the first time you hooked it up or was it hooked up before this? What are your subs wired like? What subs, dual voice coil or single, what's their resistance? That amp is a 2 ohm minimum, if you wired down to 1 that would be why. Disconnect the subs and turn on the amp, does it still go into protect?

You're getting 12V or more from the battery at the amp terminals?
Is this the first time you hooked it up or was it hooked up before this? What are your subs wired like? What subs, dual voice coil or single, what's their resistance? That amp is a 2 ohm minimum, if you wired down to 1 that would be why. Disconnect the subs and turn on the amp, does it still go into protect?
2 12" kicker cvr's im pretty sure they're dual voice coils they're in a ported box wire at 2ohms rated at 400 watts rms - 800 watts rms max ea i tried disconnecting the subs it still goes into protect cant do anymore checking tonight bcuz the **** cable that goes to the hood lever broke so i cant pop my hood just aint my day today

2 12" kicker cvr's im pretty sure they're dual voice coils they're in a ported box wire at 2ohms rated at 400 watts rms - 800 watts rms max ea i tried disconnecting the subs it still goes into protect cant do anymore checking tonight bcuz the **** cable that goes to the hood lever broke so i cant pop my hood just aint my day today
If it still goes into protect its either wired wrong somewhere, its seeing high or low voltage, or it's shot. If you are positive you're getting 12V at the amp terminals from battery, I'd throw in the towel and start looking for a new one.

Ive actually done this on two different amps and both of them were fone. On a jl audio 500.1. And it blew the inline fuse, worked fine after replacing that and a jbl bp300.1 blew the amp fuses, replaced them and it worked fine

Ive actually done this on two different amps and both of them were fone. On a jl audio 500.1. And it blew the inline fuse, worked fine after replacing that and a jbl bp300.1 blew the amp fuses, replaced them and it worked fine
Yep, it happens. And its things like this that demonstrate the necessity and usefulness of inline fuses. The amp is usually fine because the fuse blows before the amp sees current it can't handle. Those wouldn't have been there, and you better have hoped you had a fire extinguisher handy.

OP said he checked all fuses though and all were fine.

Yep, it happens. And its things like this that demonstrate the necessity and usefulness of inline fuses. The amp is usually fine because the fuse blows before the amp sees current it can't handle. Those wouldn't have been there, and you better have hoped you had a fire extinguisher handy.
OP said he checked all fuses though and all were fine.
whats a good kicker amp for them? i was lookin at a kicker zx750.1 or somethin like that a while back i believe it was a 1000 watt mono idr tho

whats a good kicker amp for them? i was lookin at a kicker zx750.1 or somethin like that a while back i believe it was a 1000 watt mono idr tho
First off, be sure of your sub's impedances. Are you positive it is a 2 ohm final load?

While Kicker amps aren't horrible, there are better options. You said those subs are 600W RMS a piece? What's your budget?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.