Accidentally Sliced My Cone with a Knife....(yup, that dumb)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Smaxor5
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Sooooooo I was replacing the surround foam on my JL 12W6V2 when I got distracted by whatever basketball game was on TV and my utility knife slipped cutting the circumfrance of the cone. It's a pretty big tear but luckily its around the circle right above where the foam would be. I read around a bit online and heard that wood glue is good for this since it is semi-flexible so I carefully coated it last night.....am I screwed? Is there a better solution than wood glue?

Thanks!

Not really after you already put the wood glue on. But epoxy would have probably been a bit better. If it's a large gash by where the foam meets the cone you want it to be solid

It's in a really good spot to scrape it off from with some rubbing alcohol. Hopefully they have that kind of stuff at the hardware store in town. Thanks for the help!

It's in a really good spot to scrape it off from with some rubbing alcohol. Hopefully they have that kind of stuff at the hardware store in town. Thanks for the help!
They're not gonna. Best place to check though will be a hobby store.

I bought the 2oz tube from the link you posted. Thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out next week when it gets here

Hey im back again....so I bought the rubberized glue and a mild accelerator....how exactly do you apply the accelerator? Ive never used one before. Thanks!

Hey im back again....so I bought the rubberized glue and a mild accelerator....how exactly do you apply the accelerator? Ive never used one before. Thanks!
Is it the spray accelerator?

Just put the glue on the spot u want to touch up and use a light spray of the accele it is just used to speed up the process

ive used gorilla glue on alot it works great, cant even see holes no more, stays flexible but you will see a darker spot where applied... after the first couple times i used it i tossed my cheap ca glue...

ive used gorilla glue on alot it works great, cant even see holes no more, stays flexible but you will see a darker spot where applied... after the first couple times i used it i tossed my cheap ca glue...
Hmmmm good to know, which Gorilla Glue specifically? If i'm not mistaken there are a decent amount of different types right?

not the foaming gorila glue lol that is not flexible and makes a gigantic puff of foam glue exactly the way expanding foam works lol but that glue is great for gluing together terrible cuts on boxes and or filling in small gaps or holes.

gorilla glue super glue it in a big bottle with little tip, i went in from bottom then smeered with finger, then same as top just a really thing bit wipe clean with finger let sit about a hr.. then slapped 3k on it... held great... you couldnt even tell there was a hole, just a dark spot where it was at...

V right up here towards top of surround... V

HPIM2044_zpse9e713a5.jpg'%20alt='HPIM2044_zpse9e713a5.jpg'>

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.