? about big 3 up grade

Participant count
  • Participant list

c0la
10+ year member

Purple Haze
IN
i have the big three upgrade already done in 4 ga. the person that did it put the fuse between the alt and starter. i m changing it to 0 ga. from reading all the big 3 comments, it is my understanding its suppose to be 18" max off the battery

Well the guy that done it just ran my 4 ga. wiring along the other stock wiring path. So that being said what should i do? Should i un-do this or keep it the way it is? What would it hurt running it from the alternator to the starter and then to the battery besides wasting a bunch of 0 ga. wiring.

So its suppose to be no more than 18" away from the battery or as close to the battery end as possible? Not the alternator being that it is really the power source in this case?

the size wire you use for the big 3 is all dependant on what you are running in terms of power. Why would you want to run 0guage if all u run is 700W like I do. The physics is all relative. For my system, 4guage is good.

Also, don't mess with the starter. If I recall right, I believe you need to do:

1) chassis ----> engine

2) batt (-ve) ----> chasis

3) alt (+ve) ----> bat (+ve)

For what you are driving, it makes sense to go with the 0guage. Here goes a useful link that can help you out.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801

Unfortunately the starter has already been messed with bc of the guy that ran my wire before. He ran 4 ga. from the alternator to the starter, then from the starter to the battery. Which is now all f***** up!!

Trying to disregard what has happened i am now just trying to see what i need to do to fix everything.

Good luck with the wiring. Just undo everything and make the big three happen. Make sure u get the started out of the equation first. Once you do that, make it look as if nothing was done yet. From there, proceed with big 3.

Let us know what happens.

I dont know my vehicles original wiring schematics since I didnt look at it. So trying to figure out all the wiring that he took off is gonna be a b****.

Thanks for the help

take care of the easy things first. Make sure there is chassis to engine, & negative battery terminal to chassis. Those are the easiest in your problem. Then move slowly on the third wire. If the dude did this, you should be able to recognize the aftermarket wires. Talk to him & just get his feedback. He shouldn't be a dick about it.

if the wiring works for the starter just leave it there man. as for the big three run your wire from battery to ground--then positive side of battery to alternator with a fuse in-line and then from engine to ground (a good engine to ground would be just to add a ring terminal to both ends and use your alternator mounting bolt as the engine end and then run to your frame for the ground end)

I will definitely take it one step at a time to make sure of any faults. Besides that the guy that done it was like almost 1 1/2 years ago so i doubt he remembers to much about my car and what he done.

Im thinking the only thing i have to do is take the wire that goes from the alternator to the starter and redirect it to the battery instead. Then just leave the wire from the battery to the starter which i know that is the stock way to run the starter because when car is off the battery is what turns the starter over. Then just runs off the alternator. I'll cross my fingers and take my time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.