A question about Ohms.

Instead of attacking me personally, try doing a Google search and see what's out there re. ohm testing. You'll find a ton of sites that say round up. Also, you clearly aren't reading what I'm writing. I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether or not I got what I paid for. Perhaps you're comfortable going along with a company like an obedient sheep. I am not.
don't need to do a google search as I do this for a living. maybe you should do a google search about nominal impedance, that there is some deviation of what the nominal impedance is b/c if you move the speaker or have it at an angle the nominal impedance will change. thanks for trying to act like you know anything when the fact is you don't know anything and you're just trying to act like you're not a sheep.

the alpine systems in the dodge vehicles are 2ohm speakers. no they are not alpine speakers. you paid for the alpine name on your stereo and maybe the amplifier was designed by alpine but no products in the car actually came from alpine themselves. You paid for a Name "Alpine". just like buying a lexus. you buy a lexus but under it all its a toyota with fancy **** on it.....or buying a cadillac vs a denali, deep down the are all chevy vehicles with sprinkles on them..

Here's what you get when you buy an aftermarket branded factory system....

Alpine (or whatever manufacturer) engineers the system for the auto manufacturer. That includes speaker locations, amplifier and speaker specs, time alignment and any other signal processing that's done in the specific system. Once the system is designed the audio manufacturer gives those specs to the auto manufacturer and then the auto manufacturer can either have the components built at their own build house or they can source them through the build house used by the audio manufacturer.

In simple terms, it's a consulting gig for the audio manufacturer and the end result is improved sound quality when compared with the base systems. Whether or not that's worth the money you spend or not is purely subjective. If you want clean (but not loud) sound without modifications then a premium factory system is a good choice. If you want clean and loud then you need to install (or have installed) an aftermarket system.

As for upgrades to the existing Alpine system, I wouldn't recommend changing the factory speakers unless you plan to install another amp and do some serious deadening in the vehicle. Factory speakers are designed to work well in poorly deadened doors and on low power. When you add higher quality aftermarket speakers to that same environment the result is often worse sound. If it were me and I only had the choice of adding either amplifiers or speakers, I'd add amplifiers, because the speakers in place can handle more power than they're being given but the amps in place cannot produce more power than they're producing.

Here's what you get when you buy an aftermarket branded factory system....
Alpine (or whatever manufacturer) engineers the system for the auto manufacturer. That includes speaker locations, amplifier and speaker specs, time alignment and any other signal processing that's done in the specific system. Once the system is designed the audio manufacturer gives those specs to the auto manufacturer and then the auto manufacturer can either have the components built at their own build house or they can source them through the build house used by the audio manufacturer.

In simple terms, it's a consulting gig for the audio manufacturer and the end result is improved sound quality when compared with the base systems. Whether or not that's worth the money you spend or not is purely subjective. If you want clean (but not loud) sound without modifications then a premium factory system is a good choice. If you want clean and loud then you need to install (or have installed) an aftermarket system.

As for upgrades to the existing Alpine system, I wouldn't recommend changing the factory speakers unless you plan to install another amp and do some serious deadening in the vehicle. Factory speakers are designed to work well in poorly deadened doors and on low power. When you add higher quality aftermarket speakers to that same environment the result is often worse sound. If it were me and I only had the choice of adding either amplifiers or speakers, I'd add amplifiers, because the speakers in place can handle more power than they're being given but the amps in place cannot produce more power than they're producing.
Thank you! I really appreciate the info here. I see your point about Alpine engineering the specs, etc. and then Chrysler having the option of making the speakers themselves. It makes sense to me now why they don't necessarily need to have the Alpine logo on them. Again, many thanks!

Hi folks!
I just joined this forum since it seems to be the most active for car audio. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I just bought a 2014 Dodge Dart and paid $495 for "9 Alpine Speakers and Subwoofer." I was surprised the other day when I saw the "Alpine" speakers aren't even branded as Alpines, are made of paper, have tiny magnets, and say CHRYSLER on them!

Bait and switch aside, I need to know the ohm ratings of these speakers. Crutchfield says they're 2 ohms but everyone else I've been talking to says 4. My multimeter gave a consistent rating of 2.4 on the 3.5" speakers I tested. That means they're 4 ohms, right?

Should I be pissed that these aren't Alpine speakers?
You shouldn't be pissed at all, they're Alpine speakers made for Chrysler so that's why it say's Chrysler instead of Alpine and some of the best speakers in the world are made of paper so don't be too quick to judge..

Dodge Charger - Features - Technology - Entertainment

You shouldn't be pissed at all, they're Alpine speakers made for Chrysler so that's why it say's Chrysler instead of Alpine and some of the best speakers in the world are made of paper so don't be too quick to judge..Dodge Charger - Features - Technology - Entertainment
Good point. And I'm fairly happy with the sound. I figured since they were already amplified, that if I put a better aftermarket speaker in there, it would simply improve the sound. Didn't know that about paper speakers. I thought it was universal : paper = BAD! ha

You shouldn't be pissed at all, they're Alpine speakers made for Chrysler so that's why it say's Chrysler instead of Alpine and some of the best speakers in the world are made of paper so don't be too quick to judge..Dodge Charger - Features - Technology - Entertainment
Thanks for the link. Christ, if I read that way back, I might not even have any questions about branding. This explanation is much better than what was on the Dart page where it said "9 Alpine Speakers..." From being a member in other forums, I'm not the only one to look at them, see the Chrysler star, no Alpine logo, and be a little curious.

how did this turn into a 2 page discussion when the OP clearly read 2.x ohm on his speakers lol

Ha! I'll tell you exactly why: Some guy who owns a business where he repairs speakers told me without hesitation that if it reads 2.4, it's a 4-ohm speaker. I also gave him great detail in how I did the test.

Send Alpine an email, they "might" be able to give you some detailed info about the system but don't expect a whole lot because they did build it for Chrysler and there is probably some proprietary info involved.. I'm quite sure Chrysler won't help you but the folks at Crutchfield might have a bit of info on the system.

Instead of attacking me personally, try doing a Google search and see what's out there re. ohm testing. You'll find a ton of sites that say round up. Also, you clearly aren't reading what I'm writing. I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether or not I got what I paid for. Perhaps you're comfortable going along with a company like an obedient sheep. I am not.
don't pay any attention to that azzhat, he attacks everybody and got his post count using insults, he never has anything helpful to offer so just ignore him //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

don't pay any attention to that azzhat, he attacks everybody and got his post count using insults, he never has anything helpful to offer so just ignore him //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
yeah that dude only has thousands of installs under his belt and forgot more about 12v last week than @gstokes can imagine to ever know. how does OP rounding up 2.4 to 4 make me an azzhat? doesn't the number 3 come before that? isn't there a deviation of nominal impedance so that would make a reading of 2.4Ω on a speaker have a rated 2Ω impedance? oh look at that OP got bull **** info from some "speaker professional" about rounding up a metered impedance reading than OP can't count saying 2.4 rounds up to the number 4. maybe you 2 should get together for a Sesame Street marathon on how to count and talk to grown ups.

oh yeah, send that e-mail to Alpine and let me know how that goes since @gstokes recommended that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.