A little upset

GrindFrog
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a hdc 3 a 12", in a sealed box that is pretty big, probably around 3 cubes. It's not to bad, but this kid that knows nothing about audio that thinks he knows everything has a 12" kicker solobaric, in a small ported box and the ****** is twice as loud as mine. He has a kicker 2000 watt amp, and I have a power acoustik 2000 watt. Im a little upset in the difference of how much louder his is considering its a kicker... I know I need a better amp etc. But is all this difference just because he has a ported box (Looks like a fleamarket box).

one, the kicker amp puts out more than 2000, yours probably puts out 1000.

two, build a ported box, or modify yours to be ported, since your at 3 cubes already. HDC3 are kinda ment for port..

another thing, amp needs a better choice.

bring your setup against my kicker //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif and we'll see how bad my kicker is against your power acoustic amp. your is sealed, his was ported. his amp is better than yours. honestly, you might sound cleaner but his has reason to be louder in every aspect.

The box makes a huge difference, I had 2 12's in a box that was to big and the subs were moving alot but wasn't hitting to hard we cut the box down to size and re ported they hit twice as hard and moved less. It was crazy never thought it would make a big difference. Need good clean power and the right box. You'll get him, Ha! But those kickers can hit, some guys have all the luck, My friend no matter what he puts in his ride always seem to hit harder than me, I buy his subs off him and they don't hit as hard as they did with him, WTF? I put 8 10" In he has 2 13's They slam better than mine again. Sometimes you can't beat them so just be happy with what you got, there's always someone who wishes they had yours. Good luck.

sealed subs in large box will lose some output compared to smaller sealed box. the solo's, being in a ported enclosure, will also have a large output advantage over a sealed design. in addition, the car itself, along with the positioning of the sub box, could also make a significant difference.

Im going to lowes wednesday for materials, I created a box help thread in general discussion. I know I need a better amp, but I got that one for next to nothing and the box for free. I decided to spend my money on a woofer first. Right now im working on getting my car running and its looking like I wont be able to start on my audio again till around january (working on minimum wage and going to school). I also need a better alt, my stock one runs about 75 amps I think? It's old and ******. But I should atleast be able to take care of the box problem within a week or two. Thanks guys

His Solo was likely in a fart box. And his amp was probably putting out twice as much power. And why on earth have a box that huge and not port it? Keep the box, port it, new amp... viola. Oh, and your vehicle's cabins are going to change everything.

I switched my 10WX from a .75 cube sealed enclosure to ~1.25 cube ported and it was much, much louder. (and played lower) The box was the only change I made at that time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.