A few questions about my new sub.

Participant count
  • Participant list
I am here because no other site was able to help me with my questions... so to get to them.

I purchased a kicker C12 and in videos i see them hitting very low notes that mine simply does not. That brings me to my first question, what settings should i be using for my sub?

SETTING OPTIONS - my radio has subwoofer slope, option 1,2,3. it has "normal or reverse". (i have no idea what these two options even do) Then it has the LPF, 50-120. Then loudness, up to +10db. on the amplifier, there is my db control of course and then a "bass boost" button i can press. (side question, is this boost button really needed for anything?)

Now onto my next question, slightly new topic. The install guys took all the bass off of my front speakers (sony xplod 400wattrms, hella loud mid-bass). But now i cannot hear some of the notes i used to. My subwoofer hits the low notes, not some of the mid notes. so they are kindof lost... is that fixable?

Sooo basically, my sub hits low notes fantastically, does not hit the very low notes at all (if you are familier with the song "Bass I Love You", it does not hit any of those notes. And it does not hit mid-range notes well. And i was wondering first of all if i could adjust my settings to remedy anything.

THANKS GUYS //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (amplifier is also starter, something like 270-ish rms. but the speaker is 150rms so it's all good)

Don't use any of the bass boost or loudness settings.. it will only distort your signal. Set the lpf at 80 to start with and bring down the hpf for the mids so you can play the mid notes better.. maybe at 80 or 100hz.. play around with it to see where you like it. do you have a subsonic filter? and what type of box do you have for the kicker c12?

Box is prolly too small 2 cubes sealed or 3.25ported at 30hz should be ok. The sub isnt going to win any competitions but it can sound good if set up right.

On the amp dont use the bass boost set lpf to 80hz and do a quick google search on gain setting. That db setting is likely the gain knob and should never be close to maxed

I had 2 c10s in 2.25cubes sealed with a good bit of power and could catch every low note down to 27hz. The 16hz note in bass I love u isnt audible but rather you hear the sub unloading and distorting.

Ok for the radio settings set the low pass to 80hz or around that slope on 2 will be fine. Loud should be off. Bass level will be all the way up but bass boost should never be used. Set the eq to flat for the sub range 20-80hz. And normal for the sub unless its motor is flipped outside the box.

subwoofer slope will filter the sound differently.. read the manual to see what option 1,2,3 means.. but it's probably gonna be like -12db, -18db, and -24db slopes.. or something of that nature.. -24db slope is a much more steeper slope so it'll filter out more sound.. making it sound more sharp.. I like putting my sub at 80 hz at -24db slope.. and you need to put your mids close to that range so there's not a bunch of missing notes in between..

I can sortof understand this stuff, i'm new guys lol. Okay so blazian, i do not have a HPF that i am aware of only LPF. I notice far more bass when it is on 120, or the highest it will go.

There is no way that i know of to adjust the mids. I have my 7 band equalizer, but the sound was just taken out from them. I think possibly bass blockers were put on them because absolutely no bass goes to them now (and they could flex my mirror a bit before, as door speakers).

Okayyy onto my amp. No options there. Nada. I can use the bass boost, which i see i shouldn't, and change db.

My box is a truck box, i have a single cab truck sooo that's why. it had to have minimal width. Ported.

Let me go at it from this angle, the settings i have now are - LPF 120, max level. Slope 2 (since im still fuzzy what it does and noticed no change between 1,2,3 anyways) db +10 on radio, and the sub amp usually at +8 ish of 11. the low notes elude it...

120 hz lpf is still too high for a sub.. unless you want your sub to plays mids.. I think you need to read your manual for your deck and read what these settings exactly do.. There's gotta be a way to adjust your mids with your deck.. When did you notice you lost your midbass? Was it after they installed the headunit? The install guys might have put a bass blocker.. but you won't know unless you go and ask them..

The sub doesn't hit the low notes any better at 50 hz... without it up to 120hz i'd have a fraction of the sound. Perhaps i should try it again...?

My radio has a subwoofer specific section, that is what these options are in. It has a lpf in there and that is all.

And they just installed the sub and amp, then door speakers were gone. maybe if i could have half the bass back in them it'd be perfect. ill ask soonish.

well the lower the hz, the less information it's sending.. so obviously it won't be as loud.. 80hz is ideal for most people but 50 is too low to even bring out enough bass unless you got your midbass covered already.. You need to get your speakers to play lower.. Look into getting quality component speakers and an amp to go with it.. It'll definitely bring out more bass to your speakers and sound much more cleaner too.

If you're happy with how the sub sounds.. then you need to do something about your speakers.. Because it seems like you have bass but is missing a spectrum in the middle.. where the midbass is.. If you can get your speakers to play low down to 80 hz or so..you'd be happy.. If you're not happy with how the sub is playing.. then maybe your box is too small for a ported box.. I suspect that it is because you said you're very limited on space and most 12" subs like big ported boxes to get a good response.

The midbass is definitely missing, i sortof identified the problem. First off, my "loudness" was off which only affects the door speakers. Turning loudness on makes them actually play bass.

Now when i turned this on, i noticed the sound was there. However, they played the exact notes that my sub played and were incapable of hitting the mids. So my GUESS is when installing the guys wired all of my speakers to play the same levels... Im just going to stop by and ask for sure tomorrow because the sound isnt there when i know it is capable of being there.

Oh while im asking questions, Ill throw this one in.

My speaker is 150 rms, 500 max watts. Would it completely **** things up if i put a 600 watt amp to it? (my current one is like 270rms) Im trying to get it to hit lows still, and i can get the amp for $100.

What 600 watt amp? What brand and model number is your current amp? And the guys will correct me if i'm wrong, but in a truck box sealed is a better option. The small ported box isn't doing you any favors.

My current is a kicker. I'm not sure the model number, but it's the basic one. Like the VERY basic one, in the starter kit. (the only options on it are bass boost and gain). 250.1 is what rms it says on it, but a certificate says 270.

And i have no clue but i know the guy used it to power a larger sub than mine better. and im not really sure what difference sealed and ported made, the install guy sounded happy it was ported.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.