A/B vs Class D for Subwoofer SQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlStar250
10+ year member

SDBOLTZ
Vegas
Just talked with the guys over at Image Dynamics and they were really pushing the A/B amps for Subwoofer SQ over the Class D stuff. Points were better transient response, damping factor, and efficiency as he stated Class D's really lose their efficiency advantage when wired down to 2 and 1 ohm settings. What do you guys think? I am in the process of looking for some new amps, should I really be looking for a total A/B setup? 2 12" IDQ sealed in .95ft>3 each will be the new sub setup...

I'm looking for the best transient reponse and highest accuracy (within my budget:) ) and was looking at grabbing an iA7 and calling it a day. The other option is perhaps a SoundStream TRA1000.2 1000wRMS @ 4ohms or 500wRMS x 2 @2ohms with damping factors > 500... They're both within $20 of eachother, what do you guys think?

Your ears will not be able to tell a differance.

I ran a class D amplifer in my world champion system all last season and I never had one judge say,"that sounds like a class D sub amp"

BTW my season average was over 83 points on a 100 point scale.

Your ears will not be able to tell a differance.I ran a class D amplifer in my world champion system all last season and I never had one judge say,"that sounds like a class D sub amp"

wuts ur setup ? got any pics ?

Although I like type AB and will run it on my subwoofers until forced to do otherwise, I have found that when PROPERLY set up, there is little to no difference between AB and D for subwoofer duty.

Now had you asked me this in the 90s when Class D first started to hit the custom shop soundboards, my answer would have been WAY different! The first generation Class D 12 volt power amplifiers ****** big time!

These threads always turn into a fight, but this is one of the most relevant responses I've ever come across and the type I've been wanting to hear since these debates got so popular...

Your ears will not be able to tell a differance.I ran a class D amplifer in my world champion system all last season and I never had one judge say,"that sounds like a class D sub amp"

If class D is successful in a freaking COMPETITION I don't think there is any reason to hesitate running one for your own personal SQ enjoyment.

But much like religion and politics the other side will always disagree.

Oh no u dih unt... You pulled the almighty C card:laugh:

Even though I still prefer the current draw associated with High Voltage, High Impedance Class AB amplifiers over High Current, Low Impedance Class D. To each his or her own;)

Ive had experience with high end class D and A/B sub amps. I ended up using the A/B over the class D, because IMO it sounded better to ME, and thats all I care about...Also, the class D amp retailed for about double the A/B retail.

The amps were very similar in output.

since install is what's most important, why does it matter if you use a a/b or d class amp anyway? if you can hear the difference between the two, then the install is probably not very good IMO

I'll tell you why I went class A/B and it has nothing to do with SQ.

Flexibility.

I went with a high power 2 channel full range capable class a/b amp

because I can do more with it if I want to change things up.

SS VGA-1600.2

400w x 2 @ 4 ohm

800w x 2 @ 2 ohm

1600w x 1 @ 1 ohm

But don't forget, it's also 200w x 2 @ 8 ohms,

which could run some nice 8 ohm raw midwoofers. 400w x2

would pound the heck out of some high end components

like millie's or similar.

Generally any sub (s) that can run 1 ohm final load can also be wired

to run 4 ohms, unless it's an s1 coil or d.5 and i guess that could happen.

If I purchased a mono 1600w @ 1 ohm amp, subs is really all it would ever be

good for.

This is the same reason I would generally choose a 4 channel over a 2 channel amp

assuming the same application. I can do more with it if I decide to change things up.

If the power is too high bridged, just set the gain lower than full power.

I have owned ALOT of different amps....

I started out with the old school class A and A/B amps back in the

80's and switched to class D....I'v been thru everything from Alphasonic to Zapco

(at least all the stuff available in Canada) and I just couldn't get the same

SQ out of any class D amp I have tried that I was used to...although the Crown BPX series had some sick damping factor

so far the best SQ sub amps I have owned is the Crown A3000gti...class A/B

the old Harmon/Kardon CA series...class A

the Zapco and the Crown BPX were really good class D..the Audison wasn't

to shabby either

the install is really the make or break though......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...