99% sure I have picked out my system...comments please

Participant count
  • Participant list

SeaNile
10+ year member

After shopping around for about a week now I am pretty sure I have made my decision about my system. Thank god for the web, I'll be saving about 50% on the speakers, amps, sub and HU. Hopefully the local stores aren't pissed when I ask them to install. Id love to buy everything from the local guys but the price difference is just too much. Anyway, I loved the sound of the Boston SL80's but at $300 a pair I didn't think it was worth it....now that I have found them for $150 a pair I will be putting them in the front and rear doors. I want a really tight, clean sub to compliment the system as I mostly listen to rock music, Pink Floyd, Jimmy Buffett, The Who, etc.

Here is the run down as of now.....comments and suggestions welcomed. This stuff is going into an 04 Explorer.

Product Description

Boston Acoustics G210-44 12" sub

$ 104.99

Boston Acoustics SL80 (two pair for fronts and rear)

$ 149.99

Sirius SC-C1

$ 49.99

Kenwood KAC-7204

$ 124.99

Kenwood KAC-8404

$ 144.99

Kenwood KDC-BT742U

$ 184.99

Learn to do the install your self and spend the extra money on lots of good dampening, wires and an upgraded electrical system.

Otherwise I think your off to a good start. Local shops will usually jack you on the price of installing the gear if you don't buy it from them. They have no choice. They have to make money, and if there is any problems with the gear they have to waste a lot of time dealing with it, even though they didn't get the sale.

Materials you can buy online for a fraction of what the shop will charge you for them. Time? Well if your making lots of money then your time is valuable and you can afford to buy the gear from a shop and pay them to install the system.

It sounds like your on a budget, so if you can make a few hours when your not working you'll come out way ahead.

If you make more per hour than the shop will charge you, then pay them to do it. If you make less per hour than the shop charges, then it's in your interest to do it yourself. It's not hard, there are lots of good tutorials on this forum, and others, to help you do it yourself. You don't need many tools either.

Buying gear online then taking into a shop to get it installed usually does not go well for people. After they give you a $1,100 bid (with no warranty because you bought the gear online) maybe you'll reconsider what I've said.

We will see what they quote for install. I doubt the shop can match the web pricing but I will give them an opportunity to do so. They quoted me $375 to install the system, that was with me buying from them....and them charging $100 more per amp and and double the price for the speakers.

--JK

I would approach them and tell them you found the gear online for cheaper, you understand it will have no warranty etc from online and see what they will do.

Just walking in and saying hey match this never works.

And if they try to charge you more because you are not getting the equipment there then tell them to **** themselves.

Other issue is there is not a lot of install places close to me and I visited both shops this week to listen to stuff and get estimates. I really want to work with the local guy but he was really overpriced. Hope to know more by the end of tomorrow.

--JK

Added a few more things which I forgot, the sirius cables ,etc.

Am I missing anything here??

Boston Acoustics G210-44

$ 104.99

Boston Acoustics SL80 (X2 front and rears)

$ 149.99

Sirius SC-C1

$ 49.99

Kenwood KAC-8104D

$ 124.99

Kenwood KAC-8404

$ 144.99

Kenwood KCA-IP101

$ 24.99

Kenwood KCA-SR50

$ 39.99

Kenwood KDC-BT742U

$ 184.99

Order Total: $974.91

Should sound good if installed properly. Like many say, "it's in the install". I understand you don't have much time, but spend that $300 in install materials and find someone that can help you install it. Shouldn't be a complicated nor too difficult install, there might be someone here on the forums that is local to you and willing to help you out.

If you were local, I wouldn't mind helping you out, since "car audio" is a hobby and is something I enjoy:)

Aside from the time, which I could make, the issue is it's in the 40's here and I hate being in the middle of a project and not having the necessary stuff, whether it's wires, connectors, rca's, etc.

--JK

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.