99 Jetta firewall penetration

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hecta G
10+ year member

ATL, GA
DISCLAIMER

********** As with anything if you decide to do this to your car I am not responsible for what may happen, you take complete and total responsibility. I am in no way liable for your mistakes or errors ********************

DISCLAIMER

Now that we got that out of the way.

Hey guys,

I'm usually on the enclosure and construction forum but thought that I would post this here in hopes that it would help someone in the near future.

I've looked around and was not able to find decent information on running power from the battery to the trunk for a 99 Jetta so I did it today and thought to document the firewall penetration side.

In this first picture, i am using the brake housing as a point of reference.

Just to the right you will see a white rod coming out from the firewall.

I used a fiberglass rod that came out of one of my kids toys. So as any resourceful dad would do, I gutted the useless stuff and kept what I thought I may use someday.

Now, let's take a look at the inside to see how I got out.

Here you can see a bundle of wires coming in from the firewall. To get to this point I just started removing parts from the lower side of the dashboard until I couldn't remove anything else. As to what parts and screws need to be removed ummm I'm hoping that you can do that well on your own.

Now, since those Germans like to secure things with their fancy wire wraps, I thought I'd poke the smallest hole without destroying anything. I got a pencil put a little vaseline on the tip and using my finger as a guide made a small hole in which later would be stretched by the fiberglass rod.

Once successful, i then attached some cabling in which I would attach my power cable and then just pull through the firewall as seen below.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Theres actually a grommet just above the pedals that you can easily get to from the engine bay (next to the one you went through)...push it in, drill a hole and run your wire through //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Then run almost all the wire until your satisfied with the length you'll have in the engine bay. Took me like an hour and a half to find a way to go through the firewall but only like 5 minutes to do that part //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.