96 GMC Rebuild

ChaseinBass

CarAudio.com Veteran
Calif
I am currently rebuilding my old 96 GMC ex cab truck. I was running a single 18 Fi team in 7cf flare port box and had a CT 7000.1 but it caught fire ! lol. I Decided to bump up to run a pair of team 18s on either Taramps 10k or Crossfire 8k. I hit up a couple people and got some designs and then I hit up @CSCStang told him the space I had and he had the idea of using two 10.5 Octo ports to give me around 225 inches of port area I wanted to try at 36hz and its a large box 14.24 cf.I am building it and CSCStang built the double baffles and the octo ports and they are in the mail today. I gotta say this guy is something else ! I gave him problem after problem and he has all the answers lol ! If you need a box build you gotta give him a shot. Very easy to deal with, Good communication, Great prices and he works very fast ! I have seen a lot of his work here and he has mad skills.
View attachment 26552755
View attachment 26552757View attachment 26552756View attachment 26552755View attachment 26552758View attachment 26552759View attachment 26552760View attachment 26552761View attachment 26552762
I am using all birch ply for the first time, Always used MDF before and I gotta say I will never use it again! The plywood is so much lighter I can move this box by myself and old box was half this size and weighed 3 times as much UGHHHHH !

I gotta ask! Why is it so freakin hard to add pics to this site ?

Got new box shell glued up and even remembered to router some groves on key edges to make covering much easier - forgot on last box and it ****** to cover. Baffles W/octos from CSCStang will be here Tue or Wed and I cant wait to see them. Then I can figure out bracing cuz its going to need alot -Big azz box!

View attachment 26552792View attachment 26552793View attachment 26552794View attachment 26552795View attachment 26552796View attachment 26552797View attachment 26552798

Brace in the middle is just a spacer and is not part of the box. I was looking at these for braces

Shop Mueller Proline 3/4-in Dia Galvanized Floor Flange Fittings at Lowes.com with some 1/2 pipe to cut down on vol displacement and should be strong ?

Also wanted to ask about fiberglass resin for the inside ? ya or nah ? I know theres two sides to it but if it will stiffen it up more wouldnt it be worth it ? I saw a study someone posted while back that it didnt do much for MDf but helped on plywood I think or I could have it back azwards ?

I didn't get a lot done today, but I did get the holes puttied up and all the seams sealed with silicon. I was going to resin the inside but everything I read up on said very minimal gains in most cases and loses in some so I figured why spend the $$. I found 1/2 pipe and floor flanges that I am going to use for braces I only picked up one to check the fit. I am going to use 4 front to back and 2 bottom to top. I think that should stiffen the box quite a bit ? Any input is welcomed ?View attachment 26552827View attachment 26552826View attachment 26552828View attachment 26552829

Have used MDF for years. Gonna try something new. Seeing all these people using birch ply. Less sawdust. Lightweight compared to MDF.

Have used MDF for years. Gonna try something new. Seeing all these people using birch ply. Less sawdust. Lightweight compared to MDF.
Once I get my system all set up and actually freaking installed I'll probably be rebuilding my box or one very similar and using birch. Gotta save weight in the evo!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ChaseinBass

CarAudio.com Veteran
ChaseinBass
Calif
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from