93 jeep wrangler

Participant count
  • Participant list

yuegling2982
10+ year member

jeep member
i have a 93 jeep wrangler 4cyc. geared really low. i have problems with picking up speed of course. i have a 2inch suspension lift and 31in tires i want to put on 33inch tires but want is that going to do to my speed????what can i do to get more speed???

does your jeep have the stock dana 35 rear axle(c-clips...tiny axles...weak housing...just plain bad)?

have the gears been changed and what are they?

how wide are your rims? because 15x10s stick out a bit further than 15x8s giving the tire a lot more leverage on the axle.

there are a lot of variables, but...

you could safely run 33" tires as long as you are easy on the throttle when off road. your acceleration will **** more than it does with 31"s. top speed would theoretically be higher but your 4cyl will prolly never get you there. changing from 30"s to 33"s on a jeep with 3.73s and a 5 speed transmision will make 5th gear completely useless. changing your gears(depending on what they are now) to around 4.10:1s will help the acceleration a lot. do not go any lower(higher numerically) than that because the pinion gear is way too small even with 4.10s to give the owner much confidence. there are complete dana 35 upgrades available that come with ring and pinion, locker, stronger axles, and a housing truss that keep up with 33" tires fine, but, they are very expensive. plus you'll have to do the front axle to match.

performance upgrades like a header with a free flowing exhast and k&n air filter may help some too.

streamer is on the right track with the gearing change. im not sure of the 5th gear ratio on that tranny but in toyotaworld we usually run 4.56 for 31"tires and 4.88's for 33's. that brings it right to stock gearing. you will definetly be adding rotating mass with the bigger tires but with this gearing it will be very close to as fast as stock and gas milage will be closer to stock too. if you want to go to 4x4wire.com they have a dedicated section for jeeps and alot of knowledge to be gained too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.