8 inch woofers in doors

Participant count
  • Participant list
Just looking for a little advice. I've taken out the factory 8's in my front doors and so far have tried 2 replacements. Dayton Audio rs225-4. And pioneer shallow mount 8 inch subs. I like the sound of the Daytons much more they play lower and require less power. However they don't play down to 35hz @80watts like they are rated to do. They will play low at lower volunes. The Pioneers handle all the 150watts but don't sound quite as good as the daytons. I've decided to return the pioneers and try the Daytons again crossing over around 60hz to my subs. The first time I tried them I was not running my subs. So, what I'm looking for now is other alternatives to the Daytons. The Pioneers are out for sure. Trying to keep mounting depth as shallow as I can. Im pretty sure a JL 8w1v3 would fit, plus it's on sale at a local shop. But it has a really low sensitivity rating and I'm worried about that. However it should be able to move more air than the Dayton. People say to look at sensitivity, then when you compare ratings they say its not that simple. Lol. So I'm not sure what to think. Looking for help, advice and suggestions

You are not going to find what you are looking for in the door.
Why is that? They are sealed up pretty good. I'm not looking for thunderous bass from the doors. It was clear that wasn't going to happen, that's why the subs went back in. But I'm sure I can find a better speaker than the Bose speaker that was in there. Dash components, play down to 200hz roughly. Doors play 200 down to whatever I cross them at. There's gotta be something that would work. Its not the typical infinite baffle type door panel. It really is sealed up pretty well.

If you got the money, JL ZR800s. Theres also silverflute 8s and exodus anarchy 8s.
Thanks. The JL's I could purchase. But wow, still a hefty price tag. Those would be better than the w1's? I can get a pair of the 8w1v3's for $200 until the end of the month. The others I never heard of but look like good options. The silver flutes are crazy efficient and cheap. The Anarchy ones I can't find specs for.

Thanks. The JL's I could purchase. But wow, still a hefty price tag. Those would be better than the w1's? I can get a pair of the 8w1v3's for $200 until the end of the month. The others I never heard of but look like good options. The silver flutes are crazy efficient and cheap. The Anarchy ones I can't find specs for.
IMHO I recommend spending the $$ on the speakers. That's why I spent $640 for a pair of "PHD 5.1" 5.25" AF speakers with separate tweeters and a passive crossover for each. I figure for as fundamentally limited a 5.25" round speakers are I'd better get some great ones! Don't have them yet, am waiting for them to be made in Italy.

John Kuthe...

The ZR800 is one of the best midbass on the market but they are only good till around 300hz. I had them in the last car and man they are no joke. But still not going to get you under 50hz strong. I was going to mention it until I saw you had a depth issue. I had to grind some of the back plate to make them fit.

IMHO I recommend spending the $$ on the speakers. That's why I spent $640 for a pair of "PHD 5.1" 5.25" AF speakers with separate tweeters and a passive crossover for each. I figure for as fundamentally limited a 5.25" round speakers are I'd better get some great ones! Don't have them yet, am waiting for them to be made in Italy.
John Kuthe...
Will you STFU about some speakers you don't even have yet. BTW they are only $200 overseas.

The ZR800 is one of the best midbass on the market but they are only good till around 300hz. I had them in the last car and man they are no joke. But still not going to get you under 50hz strong. I was going to mention it until I saw you had a depth issue. I had to grind some of the back plate to make them fit.
The zr's will fit

LosIsATool is always glad to tell you what you are doing is wrong. It's a mechanism he uses to make himself seem cooler! It's karma problem.
John Kuthe...

No it's called helping people by experience.

Something you should learn. Now go install your amps you spent a week doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.