• General tune up, spare, wiring

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

JeepSound
10+ year member

vtec-lol
B.C,Canada
What to get?

Gears: Probably 4.10's, possibly 4.56's. Either would be around $750 after install

Or

Cam, lifters, header: Around $750 installed (dads a mechanic, I could use the shop and help install to save on labour)

Or,

Lift the front end to 6.5"s. It's at about 4.5" right now. (The rear is already around 5.5"+ I'd just throw on some longer shackles to level out.) Around $600 Everything would need to be new. Trac bar, pitman arm, upper+lower control arms, coils and shocks. Possibly a t-case drop as well.

Or, a bunch of little things.

-Exhaust- Upgrade to 2.5" pipe from the cat back- Around $100

-General tune up. Plugs, wires, cap+rotor, all fluids, etc. $180

-New full size spare- $220

-Big 3, plus all wiring to 0/1 guage- Around $200

The cam and lifters was something that I just thought of now, probably won't happen but it was a thought.

The gears are really whats bugging me right now. They need to be done, but the tune up and exhaust need to be done too. It's sat for 2 years and I just finally got it back on the road now. It just needs a good overhaul.

I don't know what to do. Give me some input.

What is the jeep most used for/is going to be used for? I'd say find a donor jeep, my mom just bought a '91 for $500. Could get one with the gearing you want, if it was an factory option. That would save some money on the gears, and you get spare axles if you're into heavy off road driving. Then, you could do a tune up, depending on how much you had left, if any. Or, possibly go for the full size spare.

get the cam, lifters, and header.
The only thing I don't like about that idea right now, is that it's really only putting a band aid on the fact that it's gutless with 33's. Gears are what will really wake it up and make it a little easier on the tranny but they're just so **** expensive.

When you say "new full size spare" im assuming that you just have the stock tire as your spare right??? If so id go the new full sized spare
I don't have a spare at all right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

What is the jeep most used for/is going to be used for? I'd say find a donor jeep, my mom just bought a '91 for $500. Could get one with the gearing you want, if it was an factory option. That would save some money on the gears, and you get spare axles if you're into heavy off road driving. Then, you could do a tune up, depending on how much you had left, if any. Or, possibly go for the full size spare.
It's a DD/weekend trail rig. I've thought about finding a 91+ with the HO and just swapping all my shat over, but it's a LOT of work and we really don't have the room for another vehicle in the driveway right now. The lowest gears the XJ came with from the factor was 4.10, but If I go the gear route, I'd really prefer to have them new. It was definitely something that crossed my mind though.

Thanks for the opinons guys.

If you have the ability and money, (I don't know how much they cost) I would definitely do the 4.0L HO swap, my mother's jeep is a 'beast' when it comes to power, and that's compared to a '78 International Scout II with a 345C.I. and a '79 Chevy Silverado with a built 350C.I. We took the all down to the 'Dollar Holes' one weekend, and it kept up with both of the others, and performed just was well, although the Chevy was not a fair match, it still did keep up with it. I say buy a donor/motor, and drop that in, and if you buy a donor, sell it and make quite a bit back if you part it out.

New gears.
How about an SYE ?
Oh beleive me, thats on the list too but this stuff isn't cheap. I'm looking at around $500 for the SYE. That'll go in after the front end gets leveled out, which will eventually get done regardless.

I figure I can get away with a T-case drop for a while after everythings at around 6.5"s until I can afford the SYE.

If you have the ability and money, (I don't know how much they cost) I would definitely do the 4.0L HO swap, my mother's jeep is a 'beast' when it comes to power, and that's compared to a '78 International Scout II with a 345C.I. and a '79 Chevy Silverado with a built 350C.I. We took the all down to the 'Dollar Holes' one weekend, and it kept up with both of the others, and performed just was well, although the Chevy was not a fair match, it still did keep up with it. I say buy a donor/motor, and drop that in, and if you buy a donor, sell it and make quite a bit back if you part it out.
Oh, I know the HO's make some good power. My parents have a '95 Grand Cherokee and even at 4000+lbs and an auto, it'll still break loose with ease with only a CAI and exhaust. These 4.0's will surprise a lot of people.

But my engine was just taken out and rebuilt before it sat for 2 years. With a cam and my CAI/exhaust I can make as much power as the HO, it's just the 33's that are killing me now. Which is where gears come in.

Yeah, one bad thing about bigger tires. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I'd do only a tune up, and save the rest for gearing. You can't go anywhere with 4.10/4.56 gearing if your motor doesn't move. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Yeah that's a good point. I'll figure out what I'm doing by the end of the week and hopefully get whatever I choose, done by the end of weekend.

But, when does anything ever go as planned...

For $750, get a case of Coors and this guy to ride shotgun

928834991_l.jpg

Jeep Brah = chicks.

I voted gears. What's your stock gearing now? Although the axles may not like it are you ever thinking of going bigger than 33's?
3.55's stock. Thats why I'm thinking of just going to 4.10's. That way, when I do throw a D44 in the rear, I can find one with 4.10's and not have to worry about changing them again. But the axle swap won't happen until I can find one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I do plan on going to 35's, but that won't happen until the D44 gets put in.

For $750, get a case of Coors and this guy to ride shotgun
928834991_l.jpg

Jeep Brah = chicks.

I lol at that pic everytime.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...