.75 vs 1 cube ported?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Recommended is .75 to 1 cu.ft ported. It would all depend on how much power you are running. The bigger the enclosure the less control of the cone. Therefore high power can cause over extension/ bottoming out. Smaller enclosure would allow more power. If I was running 750w I would run in 1 cu.ft. If I was going to run 1200-1500w I would opt for a smaller enclosure. Thats just my .02

Recommended is .75 to 1 cu.ft ported. It would all depend on how much power you are running. The bigger the enclosure the less control of the cone. Therefore high power can cause over extension/ bottoming out. Smaller enclosure would allow more power. If I was running 750w I would run in 1 cu.ft. If I was going to run 1200-1500w I would opt for a smaller enclosure. Thats just my .02
I already know all of that technical mumbo jumbo stuff. I'm talking about real world situations. I see guys running over 1000 watts in 1 cube. I was asking about the sound quality of the lows. I've built recommended for other subs and most of them were too small and struggled with the lows. When I put them in bigger than recommended it sounded better.

I was asking about the sound quality of the lows. When I put them in bigger than recommended it sounded better.
Well... your definition of "SQ" must be peakier lows. Increasing the enclosure size will make that peak around tuning more pronunced.

You mean just fatter lows?

I've got 4- 8's in 4.1 cubes net and pushing them with a 3K amp and it gets low. It did a 148.5 at 32 hz. from the kick. I think the bigger box will help them dig lower.

20210310_182254.jpg
20210201_172007.jpg

So what do you think the difference would have been if you did 3 cubes with 4k as far as spl?

Well, I'm not sure if the 4-8's could take 4K. They are 600 rms each. When I demo them, my installer always tells the people, "he has them in a big ass box and tuned low (33hz.)" He's the expert and always comments that the size of the box helps them dig low. The lowpeak is 29hz. and the high peak is 40 hz. I'm in a single cab which is an advantage, but he said that I will piss people off when they see that meter for 4-8's. I'm sure that when I switch to lithium it will touch 150. I'm thinking .75 per sub and 4K might be as loud but not hit as low. Maybe, 146's at 38hz. if I had to guess. All things being equal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.