6x9 "bass"

Participant count
  • Participants list

ender2664

CarAudio.com Recruit
tunning

I have a set of REF-9630CX 6x9s that a shop installed in my front doors and they make zero "bass".
I have a hard time believing a 6x9 isn't going to push air. my stock boss system made these things look like a joke.
So I went to the amp (lc-600i) and set the cross over much lower and those things MOVE air and the doors great but start to distort crazy. Can that be cured by changing the speaker cross over setting? Or is that not how it works

tunning

I have a set of REF-9630CX 6x9s that a shop installed in my front doors and they make zero "bass".
I have a hard time believing a 6x9 isn't going to push air. my stock boss system made these things look like a joke.
So I went to the amp (lc-600i) and set the cross over much lower and those things MOVE air and the doors great but start to distort crazy. Can that be cured by changing the speaker cross over setting? Or is that not how it works
What amp exactly do you have?
set your amp to full range and tune using the high pass on your head unit.

That was my question. It sounds great at 80 bass wise but distorts like crazy. Will adjusting the crossover in the component speaker fix that?

You may be over driving the midbass trying to play too low. Even 6x9s aren't subs and without properly sealed doors you don't usually get much bass out of them at all.

I would set all eq on the radio to flat, and any bass boost off.

Its hard to quantify distortion without hearing things. But with a high enough hpf and not boosting a signal into clipping the sound should be decent

You may be over driving the midbass trying to play too low. Even 6x9s aren't subs and without properly sealed doors you don't usually get much bass out of them at all.

I would set all eq on the radio to flat, and any bass boost off.

Its hard to quantify distortion without hearing things. But with a high enough hpf and not boosting a signal into clipping the sound should be decent
The doors on this car are surprisingly well sealed from the factory. Adding that to the dynamat and speaker rings it is pretty good.
I know the speakers can get the movement I want out of them because when I turn the filter to 80 they achieve it.
The goal is to keep that while getting rid of the distortion. I know it is hard to quantity distortion. But an example would be I could put my mom in the car (who knows zero about cars and less about car audio) and she would ask me why it sounded so horrible.

It isn't clipping.

Last edited:
125 watts per 6x9 is right in their sweet spot, so distortion may be caused by something other than overpowering.
Easy stuff first, using front fader only, try sweeping the balance to see if you get better bass when only one side is playing.
Thank you for your input.
I went into a parking lot (I was tuning in my garage before which limited what I could do volume wise) and spent a good amount of time playing around with settings.
It is MUCH better than it was before and I'm very excited that I can feel at least a little without having adjusted the crossover.
Until trying to do anymore self tunning...
I have KICKER 47KSC6504 6.5 Inch speakers in the passenger sail pannel.
Would switching to TIMPANO TPT-MB6 Slim help get more base without tunning?
Example:
At 80hz will the timpano produce more midbass (air movement) than the kicker? Or is it just the ability of the timpano to be tunned differently that makes it classified as a midbass?

Last edited:
Would switching to TIMPANO TPT-MB6 Slim help get more base without tunning?
Example:
At 80hz will the timpano produce more midbass (air movement) than the kicker?
I have no hands on experience with Pro Audio, but what I have listened to, has no bass. Pro Audio does have alot of kick, like that of the kick drum but without the low end. Any speakers labeled Mid Bass will most likely be Pro Audio.
I have KICKER 47KSC6504 6.5 Inch speakers in the passenger sail pannel.
This is new info and confusing. You have 6.5 spekers in the door sail? The little triangle that covers the side mirror nuts?

I have no hands on experience with Pro Audio, but what I have listened to, has no bass. Pro Audio does have alot of kick, like that of the kick drum but without the low end. Any speakers labeled Mid Bass will most likely be Pro Audio.
This is new info and confusing. You have 6.5 spekers in the door sail? The little triangle that covers the side mirror nuts?

Sorry about that. This is my whole system:

KICKER 47KSC6504 6.5 Inch (sail panels)
REF-9632IX 6x9 (rear deck)
REF-9632IX components (front doors)
AudioControl LC-6.1200- (speaker amp)
Rockford fosgate 500x1d- (sub amp)
Rockford Fosgate Prime R2-2X10 (trunk)

I have a set of new TIMPANO TPT-MB6 Slim speakers sitting in my garage.

Camaro guys refer to the sail pannel to reference the area right next to the passenger (I guess that isn't the proper term?)

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...