6x8 to 5-1/4 bracket? Any good?

MotleyDeth366
10+ year member

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus and am trying to upgrade the sound system. All the speakers are apparently 6x8s even though the covers in the front doors are round. I did find a bracket that would allow me to put in 5-1/4s instead of 6x8s, but is there any advantage to that? Also, will the bracket cause any sound quality difference? (i.e. ratling?)

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus and am trying to upgrade the sound system. All the speakers are apparently 6x8s even though the covers in the front doors are round. I did find a bracket that would allow me to put in 5-1/4s instead of 6x8s, but is there any advantage to that? Also, will the bracket cause any sound quality difference? (i.e. ratling?)
Here's what I would do;

-Buy a jig saw if you don't have one

-Buy a thin piece of MDF or wood

-Trace the old speaker & the the new speaker on the wood

-Cut & install

Also; clip side is negative in Fords.

The wood will be cheaper than buying adapters and every man should own power tools. If you have a jig saw already, a small sheet of wood at your local home improvement store will be

The other thing is that not all 6.5" speakers are created equal...in diameter at least. Boston Acoustic components are more of a 6" and MBQ's are **** near 7". The problem you'll run into with the larger speaker diameter isn't depth but the width of the speaker's basket. You may need to cut/smash some metal or whatever to make the speaker fit. Also, keep in mind where the terminals are on the speaker as you don't want those rubbing against metal creating a short.

If it were me, and I've had systems in a couple Fords, I'd just use 5.25" components. You'll have enough room on the plates you make to install both a tweeter & woofer onto them if you want a stealthy install and 5.25" components fit into anything if you want to keep the speakers after you sell the car. I have a set of a/d/s 5.25" components that have been in 4 cars and never had an install issue I couldn't fix with an adapter plate. I have had problems installing some 6.5" woofers in cars though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.