6 speakers w/ a 4 channel amp??

Is it really spoon feeding to be helpful? All that was really done here was send someone to google. Don't be afraid to actually help when people ask for it. I know, most of you feel some sense of entitlement, or elitism because you know how to install a stereo. Hell, I've been doing this for 20 years, 16 of that has been professionally. I still take the time to help the n00bs who ask for help. It's the kids who don't even know the right questions to ask who need our help the most. Teach them the right questions to ask, and how to find the solution themselves, instead of telling them they aren't smart enough to do the job. I installed my first alarm at 14 years old. Did I have any business doing it? Probably not, but I learned from that, and each subsequent install. I still learn something from most installs.

If you're fed up with the repeated questions from people who have little to no experience, maybe it's time for you to take a break from the forum. Hell, go hang out in off-topic and ******** with your e-buddies until such time as you feel you can come back and give a proper and helpful response to the annoying n00bs who keep asking the same questions, over and again, and who seem, for some reason, to ignore the search function.

Well to some thank you for your help! To the others thanks for nothing. I am not sure who said it, maybe misfit?, that if it don't know how to figure out impedence on a speaker I dont deserve speakers. That is a stupid statment. I don't know how to build a house either, does that mean I should have to live under a bridge? No wait I don't know how to build a bridge either. I guess I'm screwed.

I have sony marine speakers and an sony xplode 4/3 channel amp. I ahve looked them up online and believe I have found the answers to your questions. Let me know if not. I bought the boat used so I don't have the original manuals.

amp:

Band : Low Pass Filter: 80 HZ, -12dB/oct High Pass Filter: 80 HZ, -12dB/oct

Circuit System : OTL Output Transformerless Circuit Pulse Power Supply

Frequency Response : 5 Hz - 100 Khz (+0/-3 db)

Harmonic Distortion : 0.005% (at 1 kHz)

Impedance : 2-8 Ohms Stereo, 4-8 Ohms Mono

Input Level : 0.3 - 6.0V (RCA input) 1.2 - 12.0V (High Level Input)

Low Boost : 0 - 10dB (40Hz)

Noise Level : 90 dBA

Power Supply : OTL Output Transformerless Circuit Pulse Power Supply

Speakers:

Frequency Response : 35-26,000 Hz

Impedance : 4 ohms

Sensitivity (db) : 91 dB/1W/1m

Thanks,

Ken

thanks for the info Ken!

you're good to go for parallel wiring. you have four channels on the amp, each with (+) and (-).

each channel can power two 4 ohm speakers. when you wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel: two wires in (+) amp terminal and two wires in (-) amp terminal- you half the impedance to 2 ohms.

the next decision is which speakers you want to combine. you still have level control via fader to turn some speakers off. so group them logically.

i did a 6 speaker install in a boat using a 4 channel amp. i devised a switching system that lets the owner choose how he wants to power each pair of speakers - either from the HU or from the amp. he knows he can only run 4 speakers from the HU. why the HU? - because of low power listening at night. if you're interested in some details on that PM me.

let us know if the owner's manual doesn't give you the diagram you need for parallel wiring.

Ken,

parallel is easy. just connect the positives together and the negatives together on two or more speakers. That's parallel In your case you would only be connecting 2 speakers to one channel on the amp.

KHA is right about choosing the grouping so you can choose between areas on the boat that will get sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.