6.5's vs 6x9's?

it depends on what you are looking for IMO. If i had to pick between a 6.5 or 6x9 I would have to think about the rest of my speakers... With a coaxial 6.5 in the front i would get a good component set of 6.5 with a plate in the rear. I would then have better mids.

Unless it's 4x6s* I never advise people to downsize to round speakers. You lose midbass response by dropping down to a smaller cone. If you're spending the money to get a 6.5" that moves a lot of air you're into 6x9 component territory. That myth about 6x9s being crap for sound quality needs to die. There are good 6x9s out there but you have to spend a bit more to get them.

*an exception is if there's no easy way to cut out to fit 5.25s, then there are good 4x6 plate components to choose.

The problem is that there is a dearth of high end components. However, I would stick with the 6x9s. There are a few interesting possibilities. For example, Image Dynamics XS-69 comps or Hybrid Audio Imagine. I would have preferred the former, specially if not running active.

I'd disagree with that. Midbass is a sort of a grey area where both subwoofers and normal speakers will struggle. A lot of subwoofers will struggle in mid-bass region as some will sound sloppy or not so strong above 80Hz. 6.5 woofers can suffer from this issue too. Now enter a 6x9.. a woofer with a cone area of an 8 inch round speaker. From my perspective on SQ, my bass always sounds better, smoother if you have the ability to crossover the subwoofer a bit lower. I prefer no higher than 60Hz, but this may require cooperation from the front speakers.

I'd disagree with that. Midbass is a sort of a grey area where both subwoofers and normal speakers will struggle. A lot of subwoofers will struggle in mid-bass region as some will sound sloppy or not so strong above 80Hz. 6.5 woofers can suffer from this issue too. Now enter a 6x9.. a woofer with a cone area of an 8 inch round speaker. From my perspective on SQ, my bass always sounds better, smoother if you have the ability to crossover the subwoofer a bit lower. I prefer no higher than 60Hz, but this may require cooperation from the front speakers.
It's doesn't hold true in all cases but I've found if you get some good 12s they'll handle all the midbass you want. imo

If your vehicle takes 6x9's would you stick with them or go with a plate and install 6.5's?
I went with the plate and a 2 way coaxial 6.5 hope I made the right decision.
Kinda too late to ask the question then, isn't it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.