6 12's vs 4 15's

BS. I have had many friends run 4 SA 12s on 7k amps daily at 1ohm and all have been fine. I'm sure the FU woofer will be fine on a 5k. But I still say go sundown //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
Why go sundown? Popularity? Frank builds subs that are just as solid and perform on the same level or above for less money...
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, too little power blows up subs all the time. That's why we all have to drive around with things at full tilt or else things will break.
Are you implying that someone who isn't happy with their 750W sub on 750W will be content with 750W to that sub provided it's coming from a larger amp?

My rule of thumb is if you have to come here and ask, you have no business running an amp below rated impedance or a sub beyond rated power.
It isn't the too little power part that's the other, and it sounds like you know that already... Instead of offering the additional info that would paint you decide to troll...

The reason people blow subs in less per is because they don't have enough power to begin with and turn the Bass boost way up or the gain all the way up and distort the signal so bad that it clips the subs... Clipping creates heat and heat causes thermal failures or " blown " subs...

My current build 2 tantric hd 15's, coils look same as they did from day 1, I know how to take care of my equipment.
f78f187ac9f28651f4167a77a9abe453.jpg
05020d0a8edd56279cf5bdcab36195bd.jpg
3a553f02eb511881afe1b1ab7e520c36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
And.... Murphy builds a hell of a product

That's an idea, local guy has 4 zv3's he ain't doing anything with I might try to get him to sell, only ones on yard sale are 18's as of now
Zv3 is more of an spl sub... It'll play lows, but doesn't have beat the excursion the v4-5 have

Why go sundown? Popularity? Frank builds subs that are just as solid and perform on the same level or above for less money...
I've built enough drivers to know why sundown has a higher price. the tooling machining and hand building along with the patents is why sundown woofers cost more.

It's almost rebuild time for me and was thinking 6 yard sale sa 12's or 4 fu audio 750v2 15's. They will be flat wall in an 04 f150 extended cab on a banda 5k till I can save up for more power. Any thoughts or opinions to go one way or the other?
So a SEALED wall..not ported? Im not sure if I could trust that Yard sale.Ive never thought about even buying due to hit and miss on subs that others have bought and stated,and imperfections,and warranty.Ive never bought from that Yard Sale,and more than likely never will.Just for that alone, I myself of the two choices would go for the 4 15s or look at new subs for the 12s.Thats me.Im sure that either way, you should be happy with the out come.By the way..Thats a really nice and clean built box I see in there and I really like the false floor also.Looks Great!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/escape.gif.52b661afb17bde1db0e0c7da97e75b38.gif

8 12s will fit. His name is BighossF150 on SMD forum. All pictures were uploaded through photo bucket so they can no longer be seen anymore though.
I saw his builds a few years ago on smd, alright I guess you talked me into it, 8 will be great

So a SEALED wall..not ported? Im not sure if I could trust that Yard sale.Ive never thought about even buying due to hit and miss on subs that others have bought and stated,and imperfections,and warranty.Ive never bought from that Yard Sale,and more than likely never will.Just for that alone, I myself of the two choices would go for the 4 15s or look at new subs for the 12s.Thats me.Im sure that either way, you should be happy with the out come.By the way..Thats a really nice and clean built box I see in there and I really like the false floor also.Looks Great!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/escape.gif.52b661afb17bde1db0e0c7da97e75b38.gif
Yes it will be ported just a flat wall not a 4th, I have bought a couple yard sale subs and couldn't find a issue with either of them but with the amount I would be buying I figure I'll run into some issues so I guess I might be a $1000 into it with subs and a few recones vs. $1600+ buying new

The reason people blow subs in less per is because they don't have enough power to begin with and turn the Bass boost way up or the gain all the way up and distort the signal so bad that it clips the subs... Clipping creates heat and heat causes thermal failures or " blown " subs...

So "clipping" creates heat but unclipped power does not?

Let's say somebody has a pair of 750W subs on a 1500W amp and is @ 144dB and isn't happy so he attempts to overdrive the amp with bass boost or whatever and burns them up. Now tell him the answer is a 3000W amp, he is still at 144dB at 1500W and not happy and gives the volume knob another click to gain 2dB nearly doubling power into the subs are they going to fare any better? You can do the math for yourself and see the difference in power between a 1500W sine wave and square wave and it is LESS than one click on the volume knob of a 0-35 head unit assuming unlimited headroom on the amp.

You could better make a case that someone who doesn't know better will assume that if his amp is rated 1500W and his two subs are rated 750 that they are indestructible no matter what he does. Though again, such a person wouldn't fare any better with double the power on tap and someone who knows what they're doing isn't going to be blowing up woofers regardless of amp size.

This is not a troll, IMO telling people to throw double rated power at their speakers without offering to warranty them when they fail is a troll. If Sundown believed you could throw 1500W at SA series with impunity they'd rate them accordingly.

And.... Murphy builds a hell of a product=
Rather a sore subject here, since Murphy burned a couple guys (at least) on this forum. As far as "his" product, just call up China with some money and you can get the same thing. Apart from possibly better build quality if he assembled things here there's nothing special going on there. Don't get me wrong, they seemed to be a good product but pick any similar tier woofer from half a dozen other brands that don't rip people off and they'll perform about the same.

Im not sure if I could trust that Yard sale.
Mostly it's minor cosmetic stuff or buyers can't even tell what the problem was. And they're certainly priced at a point where even if you had to recone half of what you buy you're getting a fair value. Oh and if anybody buys zv3 18's that turn out to be broken a have a couple spiders and cones I'll never use I'd let go for cheap along with a big surround 12" cone.

The OP was asking which brand of subs to price ratio I believe. He's not asking advice on how to build or how to set up equipment. Jeff is saying when u don't have enough power you drive your amplifier into clipping and thus blowing a woofer(s)... but if you have more power then needed you will have clean power and won't cause harm. Best way I can put it In Simple terms
i never said underpowering blows up subs. I said Dissatisfaction with output leads to clipping leads to blown up subs. I worded it that way for a reason because i knew you were gonna say this lmfao.

Yes i'm implying that in almost every **** case on ALL social media regarding to car audio, people that have headroom on power at 100% more satisfied then not having enough power on tap. Thats basically a complete consensus everywhere.
Or one could make the case that people who KNOW they have too much power on tap are less likely to try to push things to the max. Again, this isn't conjecture, do the math. A square wave is only @ 40% more power than a sine wave with the same peak to peak amplitude so even clipped to a square wave (how many amps will go this far? Who won't actually hear a full square wave as sounding awful?) your 1500W amp pushing a square wave is generating the same heat in the coils as a 2200W amp with "clean" power.

"Some guys on faceberg" doesn't change the accepted laws and formulas of electricity.

I've built enough drivers to know why sundown has a higher price. the tooling machining and hand building along with the patents is why sundown woofers cost more.
True for everything after the zv3...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bamaman

Senior VIP Member
bamaman
Phenix City, AL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from