500rms subwoofer taking 1750 rms daily????

treiber67
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Guy claims he has a sundown 4k pushing two orion xtr pro's......Is it possible to build a box that will increase your subwoofers rms power by 400% im just curious. If and you have the means of making this box I will pay good money for it. Thank you for looking.

^^Agreed. If set right, a sub will most likely(if built decently) take more then its rated power. HDC3's for example are rated 1k, ive seen plenty of people running 3.5-4k to them and they do fine on that power.

Im doing a 2-18 Obsidian audio build and im going to be running about 3k or so on them and they are only rated at 600rms per sub. Shrinking the box some can improve your sub woofer's power handling ability as well.

I ran a single 8w7 off a JL1200/1hd or a while...sounded fking fantastic and handled the power just fine...though it did get a lil stinky. But as a previous poster pointed out, as long as the signal is clean most speakers will handle much more that suggested rms.

Actual power from an amplifier varies constantly with music, and those subs are not "seeing" the full power of that amplifier at all times. It's likely they're never getting 1,750W.

^^Agreed. If set right, a sub will most likely(if built decently) take more then its rated power. HDC3's for example are rated 1k, ive seen plenty of people running 3.5-4k to them and they do fine on that power.
Im doing a 2-18 Obsidian audio build and im going to be running about 3k or so on them and they are only rated at 600rms per sub. Shrinking the box some can improve your sub woofer's power handling ability as well.
im curious, isnt throwing that much power on those subs useless. i wonder why so many people put that much power to subs, i feel aftrr a certain point you dont gain anything. all you do if just make your subs hotter.

im curious, isnt throwing that much power on those subs useless. i wonder why so many people put that much power to subs, i feel aftrr a certain point you dont gain anything. all you do if just make your subs hotter.
Well in a SPL setup throwing more power can in fact help you on the meter. The Obsidian subs are "rated" at 600rms but can with stand more power. Im running 3k, but after rise and what not it will probably be more like 2k, so 1k per sub. They rate them that low so people who dont know what they are doing dont blow them. The Hdc3s are power hungry monsters they will take way more then rated much like other subs.

but honestly how much louder does it even get compared to a large and efficient box and just a few hundred rms over as opposed to a few thousand over in a smaller power handling oriented box?

Well in a SPL setup throwing more power can in fact help you on the meter. The Obsidian subs are "rated" at 600rms but can with stand more power. Im running 3k, but after rise and what not it will probably be more like 2k, so 1k per sub. They rate them that low so people who dont know what they are doing dont blow them. The Hdc3s are power hungry monsters they will take way more then rated much like other subs.
I would think that's where the different motors would come in ? I may be wrong, But I look at it as a engine in car. If it's dyno tuned and max HP would be 5500RPM pulling to 7000 would be pointless.

but honestly how much louder does it even get compared to a large and efficient box and just a few hundred rms over as opposed to a few thousand over in a smaller power handling oriented box?
lol i dont all the laws these things or how people figured this stuff out lol. I just know that a smaller enclosure will allow a subs power handling to increase to a extent lol.

The 1 thing about the HDC3 sub is that the motor is a REALLY strong motor but they lack on the soft parts. Its only rated at 1k due to those parts. But if reconed with better parts they will be rated at probly 3k. ive talked to guys that gained 1.5-2db just from reconing to better soft parts in the HDC3's and without changing anything else.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.